Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Red Diesel petition dead

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    and the second is that road duty is based upon consumption by road vehicles whereas boats are a different thing entirely. .
    I believe it is 'fuel duty', rather than 'road duty'. So nothing to do with roads.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    I believe it is 'fuel duty', rather than 'road duty'. So nothing to do with roads.
    It's a long time since there was any pretence that the duty on fuel was going to be spent on the roads.

True, likewise 'road tax'!

Hence the state of the roads no doubt...
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    My point is that the effect of high levels of taxation on something that does 50mpg is different to something that does 1mpg - perhaps why we had access to red in the first place? Only speculating, I don’t know the origins of red use for leisure boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    My point is that the effect of high levels of taxation on something that does 50mpg is different to something that does 1mpg - perhaps why we had access to red in the first place? Only speculating, I don’t know the origins of red use for leisure boats.
    I have no doubt it does originate from being for non road use. This still applies to farm machinery and construction plant for example.

It doesn't matter as red diesel is being phased out. After Brexit we'll have red, white and blue diesel!
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

With anything like this, the government is going to win anyway. They always do. Trying to campaign against it would be as useful as putting water in your fuel tanks.

Either way, with the environmental impact and increasing international awareness to lowering our carbon footprints, paying the full price of white diesel seems immaterial to me as a motor boat owner.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    It doesn't matter as red diesel is being phased out. After Brexit we'll have red, white and blue diesel!
    Purple?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    With anything like this, the government is going to win anyway. They always do. Trying to campaign against it would be as useful as putting water in your fuel tanks.

Either way, with the environmental impact and increasing international awareness to lowering our carbon footprints, paying the full price of white diesel seems immaterial to me as a motor boat owner.

Just my 2 pence worth.
    Raising the price wont diminish the use so it's nothing more than a punitive gesture unless they can show that the raised revenue is going back into development of greener propulsion of powered boats

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Purple?

Raising the price wont diminish the use so it's nothing more than a punitive gesture unless they can show that the raised revenue is going back into development of greener propulsion of powered boats

The increasing price of diesel has proved over the years to have been a factor in the amount of boat use in our club.
    Many of our club members who have been boating for since the early 1960s and 1970s have repeated their assertion that the cost of fuel has been deciding factor in not undertaking longer trips.We are very lucky round here with a wide choice of worthwhile destinations available.
    Whereas a weekend return trip to Ramsgate, around 150 miles, would have once be something somebody would have suggested after few drinks on a Friday night, it is now something to be carefully considered.ie. Is worth all that money for a couple of days away ?
    .10 hours @ 3 gallons at hour ie. £120. at club prices..
    The days of impromtu lets go for a spin have diminished considerably and these folks are the comfortably retired with the time and probably the money. On the spur trips to France or Belgium were not uncommon
    The main movement now is definately shorter distances of longer duration to get value for money.
    Last edited by oldgit; 07-11-19 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Many of our club members who have been boating for since the early 1960s and 1970s have repeated their assertion that the cost of fuel has been deciding factor in not undertaking longer trips.
    The main movement now is definately shorter distances of longer duration to get value for money.
    Without wishing to seem disrespectful….. Might that be a symptom of older age of the people rather than the cost?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast