Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Red Diesel petition dead

“Without wishing to seem disrespectful….. Might that be a symptom of older age of the people rather than the cost?”

That maybe true in some cases but not all. There is no age limit on fun.
    If you are retired you would want to make good use of the weather midweek and even if your boat averages 2 to 3 mpg a quick jaunt of 30 miles maybe to do a spot of fishing or just a leisurely day out; is going to cost around £60.00 or more a day. If you go out 3 times a week you’re looking at nearly £200 a week. Quite a dent in any pension, no matter how generous.
    I wish I knew the answer - apart from going back to sails!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moresparks View Post
    “Without wishing to seem disrespectful….. Might that be a symptom of older age of the people rather than the cost?”

That maybe true in some cases but not all. There is no age limit on fun.
    If you are retired you would want to make good use of the weather midweek and even if your boat averages 2 to 3 mpg a quick jaunt of 30 miles maybe to do a spot of fishing or just a leisurely day out; is going to cost around £60.00 or more a day. If you go out 3 times a week you’re looking at nearly £200 a week. Quite a dent in any pension, no matter how generous.
    I wish I knew the answer - apart from going back to sails!!!
    Sails is one answer, but I would guess that going slowly is another - even if we don't wind the canvas out, we get a lot better than 3mpg under power - but with a top speed of 5 or 6 knots. A few years ago we took our previous sailing boat - a 43 foot Beneteau - from Chatham to Northney - over 160 nautical miles - running on engine all the way. I didn't do an accurate calculation, but the boat had a tank which held about 200 litres and we arrived with plenty still in it.

The other side of it is if you want to go out fishing three days a week, but want to take something approaching a floating apartment with all facilities with you.

That is something to do with age and, closely related, wealth.
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    The increasing price of diesel has proved over the years to have been a factor in the amount of boat use in our club.
    Many of our club members who have been boating for since the early 1960s and 1970s have repeated their assertion that the cost of fuel has been deciding factor in not undertaking longer trips.We are very lucky round here with a wide choice of worthwhile destinations available.
    Whereas a weekend return trip to Ramsgate, around 150 miles, would have once be something somebody would have suggested after few drinks on a Friday night, it is now something to be carefully considered.ie. Is worth all that money for a couple of days away ?
    .10 hours @ 3 gallons at hour ie. £120. at club prices..
    The days of impromtu lets go for a spin have diminished considerably and these folks are the comfortably retired with the time and probably the money. On the spur trips to France or Belgium were not uncommon
    The main movement now is definately shorter distances of longer duration to get value for money.
    Given that fuel wasn't free before, then it's what, an extra £50 worth of fuel for that weekend away on the boat? If £50 was curtailing my weekend boating trips, I'd think it was probably time to give up boating.

Perhaps it's an excuse than a reason.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post

£50 used to be a significant sum – not easily spent in a day’s entertainment. Despite inflation making £50 a lesser sum in real terms there are plenty of people alive who would think twice before spending it.
    To put it into perspective the state pension is £125.95 per week even if 30 qualifying years of national insurance has been paid in. So a large slice of a week’s pension spent on diesel will, to some people be seen as a lot.

Have some respect for your elders .

Can't imagine many people surviving on £125/week state pension have a large motorboat though!
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Without wishing to seem disrespectful….. Might that be a symptom of older age of the people rather than the cost?

Almost certainly but this would also include the 50% of young whippersnappers under 60 who are probably in the best financial situtation they are ever likely to be in.
    Kids gone,* mortgage gone, usually both still working and possibly with an inheritance or two.
    Suspect very few of the 100 boats on the pontoons are on any sort of finance.

*Actually they always come back, usually with three or four other souls in tow.
    Last edited by oldgit; 09-11-19 at 08:00.

The Red debate has finally arrived where it was always going to. Rebated fuel for leisure, especially in today's political climate, is unsustainable, just ask the lovely Greta, her opinion

The RYA & Government came up with a fudged option, that has caused much grief to some boaters travelling abroad, it was totally avoidable
    Last edited by Old Harry; 09-11-19 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Given that fuel wasn't free before, then it's what, an extra £50 worth of fuel for that weekend away on the boat? If £50 was curtailing my weekend boating trips, I'd think it was probably time to give up boating.

Ari, we are talklng here about folks who were once paying around 10 olde pence a gallon

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Ari, we are talklng here about folks who were once paying around 10 olde pence a gallon
    Not to mention farmers bringing bowsers to their boats, loaded with farm diesel that was paid for by the business

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast