Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Interesting AIS Project

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    This is very cool. Did you have to do any coding yourself or was it just "Plug and Play" using the hardware setup and the rPiAIS project software? I do find myself in a Hat Dofferation scenario right now, very nice job done indeed.

(Thanks for the detailed write-up too.)
    No, I didn't have to do any coding.
    rPIAS is a dedicated AIS Dispatcher it comes as a full Raspberry Pi image complete with its (console only) Linux operating system.
    You don't need to use the console though - it also has an embedded web server so you set it all up and manage it using a browser.
    That said, rPAIS is only designed for use as an AIS Dispatcher with servers like Marine Traffic and Vesselfinder so is probably of no use to people on here.

The hardware, though could be useful.
    Still without coding, there are Open Source projects that could run this little Raspberry Pi / dAISy Hat.
    For example, Openplotter will run on it.
    Openplotter incorporates OpenCPN - add a £10 GPS dongle and a monitor and you would have a completely self contained plotter with AIS.

Alternatively - the idea I mentioned in #9
    You could very easily install Linux (Raspbian - a distro specifically for the Raspberry Pi) and Kplex (an NMEA Multiplexer) and distribute NMEA sentences throughout the boat - wirelessley.
    All on this cheap Raspberry Pi /dAISy Hat bundle.

You may want to look a the OpenPlotter project, they have been working on GUI interfaces to make this kind of setup easier. You can download a disc image with everything ready to go.
    http://sailoog.com/openplotter

I've done this with the cheap digital TV dongles, rtl-sdr and something like aisdeco2 for quite a bit less than the daisy....

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    I've done this with the cheap digital TV dongles, rtl-sdr and something like aisdeco2 for quite a bit less than the daisy....
    IIRC you were routing NMEA data round the boat wirelessly years ago - long before I thought about it.

Before starting this AIS Station project, I played with rtl-sdr.
    It worked but I couldn't get a good enough signal to use in a working environment.
    Too much fiddling - the dAISy hat isn't the most sensitive either but it is very easy to use.
    I seem to remember that you did a lot of work on software radio.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 08-11-19 at 09:22.

Can anyone tell me more about the VHF antenna? Which do you use with Raspberry?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captain_RCC View Post
    Can anyone tell me more about the VHF antenna? Which do you use with Raspberry?
    Thanks
    Any antenna you use should be matched with the frequency that you are using.
    So, in this case an antenna suitable for marine VHF frequencies should work.
    If you want perfection, you would buy a specific antenna for the actual frequency of the AIS signals that you are going to receive.
    A quick Google shows AIS frequencies are 161.975 MHz (AIS1, or channel 87B) and 162.025 MHz (AIS2, or channel 88B).

Hope that helps

I did something very similar at home to be able to feed AIS into the Marinetraffic system. I used an old Digital Yacht AIS receiver (left over from when I upgraded to a transceiver on my boat) and connected it to the internet via a WIZ11SR serial to ethernet adaptor. Pretty much self-contained and no need for an RPi. Your solution is probably cheaper if you don't already have the AIS reciever.

Would the inboard Wi-Fi function of the Pi also make this work with the new AIS overlay of the Navionics Boating app, that also required a Wi-Fi AIS receiver like this? ??

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/p...he-boating-apphttps://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/post/ais-in-the-boating-app

Thanks,
    V.
    - Merry Fisher 605

Quote Originally Posted by Vronsky View Post
    Would the inboard Wi-Fi function of the Pi also make this work with the new AIS overlay of the Navionics Boating app, that also required a Wi-Fi AIS receiver like this? ??

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/p...he-boating-apphttps://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/post/ais-in-the-boating-app

Thanks,
    V.
    The short answer is maybe.

It should work but there is more information required - your link above doesn't work - I assume it is because you are logged into Navionics and I am not.
    About 9 months ago, I did some tests using the Navionics app on the Android and it didn't work.
    Essentially, the way these things work is that a device like the Raspberry Pi sends an IP stream over either TCP or UDP using a dedicated port number.
    The accepted port number that is usually used is 10110 but it could be anything.
    I don't use the Navionics app any more so I can't help.
    If you want an "off the shelf answer, Digital Yacht have hardware that does the job - see here:-
    https://digitalyacht.net/2019/07/12/ais-navionics/

The system that I have outlined using a Raspberry Pi would simply send NMEA sentences over port 10110.
    Any mobile device set up to receive this data should work.
    I use OpenCPN and that works.

Also, there is a new technology called Signal K which specifies this type of connection and a whole lot more functionality.
    At the moment, I can't see the point of Signal K and it just complicates things but it may be used more in the future.

Another point to consider - the actual WiFi connection.
    In my Raspberry Pi example, you can do one of two things:-
    1 - Get the Raspberry Pi to connect to an existing router, in which case, any other device attached to that router (a mobile device for example) would receive the data from the Raspberry Pi.
    or
    2 if a router isn't available, you could connect directly to the Raspberry Pi but then you wouldn't have any internet connection whilst you are attached to the Raspberry Pi.

I believe that the Digital Yacht systems work in a similar way.

If you are connecting

Anyone know if there's a project out there to produce a class B or B+ AIS transmiter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast