Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sealant recommendation

Under the bow roller what sealant you recommend? 3M 4200, lifeseal or ? Adhesive sealant or silicone is best?

Default Re: Sealant recommendation

CT1
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Definitely polyurethane medium adhesion, and not silicone. So, ct1, 4200 or sika 291 would all be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    CT1
    Agreed. CT1 is great stuff and lasts for ages in the tube if airtight.

D.

CT1 sticks and seals almost everything to everything!!!

I assume SS bow roller, nuts bolts washers etc with a good thick backing pad.

To avoid rust staining from crevice corrosion you need to avoid any little spaces where water can get to, eg between the deck and the rollerplate, around bolts, between washers the plate and bolt head etc.

You need to coat all to have sealant in these joints or between things to exclude water so that crevice corrosion cant start as it makes a mess and will stain the GRP.

See https://www.yachtsurvey.com/corrosion.htm

With "Marine Grade Stainless Steel" you will get crevice corrosion and staining unless you exclude water.

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but my question is similar....
    I would like to know if there is an all-round sealant for when I re-fit my bow roller, davits, bollards and lighter stuff like VHF / Navtex / AIS antennas, etc?
    Are the ones mentioned above suitable for all the jobs or would smaller parts like antenna mounts be better suited with something different?
    Sorry if question seems 'simple' but there is a whole host of 'sealants' out there and easy for someone with no experience of them to make a wrong / unsuitable choice.
    Thanks.

This is perfectly good and will seal well, can also remove again if required which is not so easy when using some adhesive sealants.

http://www.geocel.co.uk/catalogue/si...licone-sealant

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNotlob View Post
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but my question is similar....
    I would like to know if there is an all-round sealant for when I re-fit my bow roller, davits, bollards and lighter stuff like VHF / Navtex / AIS antennas, etc?
    Are the ones mentioned above suitable for all the jobs or would smaller parts like antenna mounts be better suited with something different?
    Sorry if question seems 'simple' but there is a whole host of 'sealants' out there and easy for someone with no experience of them to make a wrong / unsuitable choice.
    Thanks.
    For all those jobs use a polyurethane like 3M 4200, sika 291 or a modified polyurethane like CT1. Don't, imho, use a silicone as suggested in post #8

Also be careful not to use a super adhesive urethane like 3M 5200 or sika 292, unless you're sure you want an incredibly strong bond.

Silicones are for bathrooms and furniture detialing and suchlike. Not for the jobs you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    For all those jobs use a polyurethane like 3M 4200, sika 291 or a modified polyurethane like CT1. Don't, imho, use a silicone as suggested in post #8

Also be careful not to use a super adhesive urethane like 3M 5200 or sika 292, unless you're sure you want an incredibly strong bond.

Silicones are for bathrooms and furniture detialing and suchlike. Not for the jobs you mention.
    I’m confused...why do you say a marine silicone is no good when that’s what it’s made for ? I have been successfully using marine silicone for almost 30 years now without any problems, I agree the others you mentioned are also very suitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast