Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Octopus autopilot drive systems

Does anyone have any knowledge on Octopus autopliot systems. What other alternatives for a cable steered inboard boat?

Cheers

http://www.octopuseurope.com/index.p.../cable-steered

Default Re: Octopus autopilot drive systems

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    Does anyone have any knowledge on Octopus autopliot systems. What other alternatives for a cable steered inboard boat?

Cheers

http://www.octopuseurope.com/index.p.../cable-steered
    I had a frustrating experience with Octopus. As I guess you have found,finding an autopilot for a wheel/cable steered boat is difficult. I was recommended Octopus by Raymarine. Octopus passed me onto another company who passed me onto another company who quoted for an autopilot. I got the impression they were only quoting for a system without the controler or control panel and when I asked them to explain they stopped answering my emails. I fed back to Octopus who just thanked me for the feedback. A waste of time. I hope you get a better response.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I have a merry Fisher 805 and I use the raymarine wheel auto pilot as I have a cable steering. It works perfect even at 20 knots plus and in heavy seas

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    I had a frustrating experience with Octopus. As I guess you have found,finding an autopilot for a wheel/cable steered boat is difficult. I was recommended Octopus by Raymarine. Octopus passed me onto another company who passed me onto another company who quoted for an autopilot. I got the impression they were only quoting for a system without the controler or control panel and when I asked them to explain they stopped answering my emails. I fed back to Octopus who just thanked me for the feedback. A waste of time. I hope you get a better response.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    That's correct from my own investigation. It replaces the hydraulic drive unit only and needs to interface with another autopilot controller, compass etc. They have had some reasonably good reviews but they dont seem to provide a complete system which of course makes the whole deal a bit concerning.

Simrad helm 1 looks the same as type S and T.

I think octopus did a linear drive too with adapter kits but could find much on it.

I spoke briefly to garmin and one of their linear kits might have worked but nothing custom made for the job. I gave up and stuck SWMBO on the wheel all season

Thanks for the responses so far, it is much appreciated and very useful.
    I'm being cautious as a system which looks like it could be a tidy solution as yet I haven't found anyone with first hand experience.

Jamie Langstone, any chance of a bit more detail on the fitting and which Raymarine model? I enquired at the Boatshow if the Evo could be an option and was told, No.

Cheers

I will send you some pictures of my set up .

I am using this system , An EV-100 system consists of an EV-1 Sensor, ACU-100 Autopilot Control Unit, wheel Drive Unit and P70i Control Head.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by jamie langstone View Post
    I am using this system , An EV-100 system consists of an EV-1 Sensor, ACU-100 Autopilot Control Unit, wheel Drive Unit and P70i Control Head.
    Hope this helps
    Very helpful, Thank You

This is my set up on my Merry fisher 805
    IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast