Thread: Four Winns 268

Default Four Winns 268

Morning all,

We're looking at buying a 7-8m boat next spring but as most people do i've already started looking. We looked at a re-engined Sea Ray in summer but it was in quite a state and decided to wait again. I have now found a Four Winns 268 up for sale locally, i've not really heard much about these boats but have done a bit of research online.

From what i've found they are American build, owners of them seem quite happy.

Does anyone have any experience of these boats ?

It's a 2001 model with a Volvo Penta GS 5.7L engine, serviced March 2019. New risers and manifolds 2016, should these be changed to be on the safe side ?

Cheers. P

Default Re: Four Winns 268

I don't have any experience of these but as a general comment are you planning to use it on the Solent area in the main? (saw the boat was in Poole).

If so, then a petrol engine will be fine as availability of petrol is good. Should you wish to venture further afield then diesel may be a better choice. The difference in fuel cost will shortly be narrowing as red diesel for leisure craft is soon to disappear so not really a factor anymore....

If you see a boat that you like buy it now. Don't wait until Spring by which time all the good stuff will have been snapped up.

>>It's a 2001 model with a Volvo Penta GS 5.7L engine, serviced March 2019. New risers and manifolds 2016, should these be changed to be on the safe side ?

At the very least you will have to take them off to inspect them. What about the outdrive bellows? When were they done?

Thanks all for replying, yes I'll be using it in the Swanage/Poole/Solent area so fuel shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I need to go down to the boat yard to check the paperwork regarding outdrive bellows and the rest of the servicing. SWMBO seems keen now she's looked online, we'll try and go down next week for a look.

Wonít be a great sea boat and care should be taken with weather. Like most mid quality US boats really.
    Depends on price for me really. If itís under 15k it might be worth a go. If itís over and anything like 20k or over...certainly Iíd want an MPi or GXi version of that 5.7 engine. The GS is an archaic carb engine. Youíll get fed up feeding it with fuel in the sea.
    The mpi variant are a different ball game. As efficient or more than any diesel with equivalent power for sure. Just that diesel in red is cheaper. Good luck.

It's up for 25K!!

Thatís well into mpi and gxi engine territory. No way Iíd have an old carb engine at that money. Might get a diesel similar boat for that too.