Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shore power not charging batterys

Hi all my consumer unit is not charging my 3 batterys has anybody got recommendations or links for a new one if I cant find out why its not working,
    My 240 plugs work, also my water heater works,
    But charging side don't,
    It's for an Antares 9
    they charge ok from the engine,

Default Re: Shore power not charging batterys

Bit extreme needing a new panel!

fuse in the charging unit gone? Any lights on the unit? Pop out fuse or trip in consumer unit blown/faulty...etc

Charging from the engine will be low voltage from the alternator (unless you are really weird and run an inverter to run the battery charger...)
    So, you have a dead 240V battery charger or its 240V supply or its cables to the battery system.
    Start at the charger, do its lights light up?
    If so, measure its output (at the charger) both when it has power and when it does not.
    If you see 0V there, the wiring to the batteries is faulty.
    If you only see the same voltage there whether it is powered or not then its output fuse is broke or it is broke.

Thanks guys I will have a look for an internal fuse on the weekend I flicked the trip switches no change,
    Its an alpha one unit anybody know this unit,

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    Charging from the engine will be low voltage from the alternator (unless you are really weird and run an inverter to run the battery charger...)
    Not so weird these days, it would seem.

I’m considering a bank of LiFePo4 battery cells and there are some issues with charging directly from an alternator. Mainly related to the fact that Alternators reach an absorption voltage, but don’t go into float. The absorption voltage being too high for lithium’s.

As a consequence, my mind wandered and came up with the idea of running the charger from the inverter when the engine is running.

Go figure!!!
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post

I’m considering a bank of LiFePo4 battery cells and there are some issues with charging directly from an alternator. Mainly related to the fact that Alternators reach an absorption voltage, but don’t go into float. The absorption voltage being too high for lithium’s.

As a consequence, my mind wandered and came up with the idea of running the charger from the inverter when the engine is running.

Go figure!!!
    You might be better off looking at the Mastervolt Alpha Pro alternator and charge regulator. That will give you a 3 step charge when the engine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post

Go figure!!!
    Yeah,if you cant get a low voltage powered LiFePo4 battery charger.
    I would never dream of using LI(anything) without full charge,discharge dedicated circuit including temperature sensing. When they go, they really go! Not to mention that excessive discharge will dodo them in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    Yeah,if you cant get a low voltage powered LiFePo4 battery charger.
    I would never dream of using LI(anything) without full charge,discharge dedicated circuit including temperature sensing. When they go, they really go! Not to mention that excessive discharge will dodo them in the blink of an eye.
    Yes! It’s a big topic, so not for this thread. I was merely struck by the comment that charging batteries via the inverter is weird, (and it is!), but no longer as weird as it has been to date

Guys I think you have hijacked this thread with your own issues I'm the one looking for help and info

Agreed! Sorry! I did say in #8 that it's a big topic and not for this thread.

I merely saw a statement which would probably attract no contradiction in previous, or even recent, times, but which is probably no longer the case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast