Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shore power not charging batterys

As a layman, I would tend to get my volt meter and start at the beginning of the chain to see where the power gets to.

Open up the consumer unit and see if there is power at the connections that ultimately feed the charger. Check at the socket the charger is plugged into. Check the wires where they enter the charger. Check the wires where they come out of the charger, then at any connections between the charger and batteries, (fuses, switches, whatever). If your batteries arenít receiving power from the charger, you will find power at one of these points, and none at the next point. The problem is almost certain to be between these two points.

Could be a loose/broken connection somewhere, failed breaker in the consumer unit, fuse blown, possibly inside the charger, and so on.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Thanks for that,
    I was wondering if there is a known fault with the Alpha one consumer unit people have found.

I googled alpha one....couldn’t find anything. Is that the make or model? First step....is it lit up!

There is another name on it called ALL IN ONE if that helps
    Last edited by pondfish; 10-11-19 at 09:16.

What leads you think the consumer unit is faulty and not a fault or blown fuse for the battery charger?

Just to avoid confusion I think his battery charger and consumer unit is a combined unit. Not two separate items. Come across them before, think they may be French but cannot remember details.
    fault finding rules as previously stated apply. Start at one end and see where you lose the power or where you find it, depending on which end you start at!
    Maybe something like this.
    https://www.dolphin-charger.com/prod...-in-one-series
    Last edited by Alex_Blackwood; 10-11-19 at 09:40.

Get your test meter out then starting at the shoreside plug test for voltage and move along the circuit until you find that you don't get 240v

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Blackwood View Post
    Just to avoid confusion I think his battery charger and consumer unit is a combined unit. Not two separate items. Come across them before, think they may be French but cannot remember details.
    fault finding rules as previously stated apply. Start at one end and see where you lose the power or where you find it, depending on which end you start at!
    Maybe something like this.
    https://www.dolphin-charger.com/prod...-in-one-series
    Yes you are right it's an all in one consumer unit with built in charger,
    I found a 5amp fuse blown so I replaced that powered up with genny because we have no shore power it was running for 10 mins and then there was a loud cracking noise and sparks from the unit so i'm looking to replace the all in one unit but cant find any have anybody got any links please.
    Last edited by pondfish; 12-11-19 at 09:07.

I have an 10A 'Power First All-in-one' made by Reya. It never seems to put out much in volts or amps (between 12.8v - 13.v) but does seem to keep batteries up when we are on shorepower. For a current model look up "Dolphin All-in-one", make sure you are sitting down when you check the prices! Probably better to fit separate shorepower unit (garage consumer unit) and decent charger.
    Last edited by ithet; 12-11-19 at 18:52. Reason: Corrected output amps.

Quote Originally Posted by ithet View Post
    I have an 10A 'Power First All-in-one' made by Reya. It never seems to put out much in volts or amps (between 12.8v - 13.v) but does seem to keep batteries up when we are on shorepower. For a current model look up "Dolphin All-in-one", make sure you are sitting down when you check the prices! Probably better to fit separate shorepower unit (garage consumer unit) and decent charger.
    Thanks for that
    I didn't sit down I fell down when I seen the price lol
    It looks like I will have to go down the two unit set up but space is short in same location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12