Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: So many silver cars...why so few silver yachts?

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I've never seen the metallic finish wraps, but the plain colours have a reputation for not lasting particularly well. I think they would manage half a season, but they are not cheap, so I'm not sure that you would be wanting to apply it with an expectation of as little as six months lifetime.
    Had my boat resprayed three years ago, I also had a quote for wrapping. The issue for me was that it's hard to get a wrap that looks like high gloss paint (or it was then - you could easily tell the difference )and as with paint, the finish is only as good as the preparation work, which was where the most money was spent. The wrap quote was IIRC around £4500 for a 12M yacht. The actual respray element of the bill wasn't much different to the wrap price.

There was a 'coppery gold' wrapped Beneteau 44.7 racing in the solent area a few years ago, looked a bit tatty when up close

Found it:

44.7.jpg
    Last edited by Lightwave395; 08-11-19 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Cars do not polish up that well either. Must be something in the drugs used to build them
    I remember years ago "Week Ending" on R4 making reference to "A de Lorean sniffing up the white line in the middle of the road".
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

So, �� I saw a handful of gold painted or wrapped mobos in the Balearics this summer. And a couple painted metallic blue. I was going to say it helped pick out the tossers with more money than sense, but that would not be true. Weaving between anchored boats on jetskis, RIBs towing floats with half a dozen screaming kids round my boat just when I'm settling down to a little afternoon snooze and playing their horrible music at a volume that drowned out Test Match Special did that job.

If you'll forgive a bit more humblebragging, there's one benefit to painting your boat metallic silver that should be considered seriously. Reflecting heat off the hull. In the intense heat of a baking Mediterranean summer, with the water temperature topping 25 degrees and the thermometer topping 40 degrees, anything that helps keep the boat a little bit cooler is worth considering. Look out for my tubby flush decked cutter poncing about in new silver livery sometime soon

There's currently a silver one for sale in Port Solent at the moment, if anyone's interested.
    IMG_5176.JPG

Simple. White GRP on boats is the direct equivalent of silver on cars.
    www.boat-angling.co.uk for information on fishing in the Eastern Solent

Why is that conclusion simple? If people like white boats, why are their cars silver? And vice versa?

I actually really like white boats, and I really don't admire silver or grey for cars, it's woefully boring. I just wonder why the same people who have the one, are happy also to have the other. Statistically, that must commonly be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Why is that conclusion simple? If people like white boats, why are their cars silver? And vice versa?

I actually really like white boats, and I really don't admire silver or grey for cars, it's woefully boring. I just wonder why the same people who have the one, are happy also to have the other. Statistically, that must commonly be the case.
    + 1

Jonathan

We had (have) a white boat and a white car - because its cheaper.

But then I have that Scots presbyterian background (note the sea 'p')

Colour costs money and does not make the boat nor car go faster nor be more efficient (and is a devil to match).

Now........

Give the punter the choice and not only would they dither over the brand, length and size of the anchor they would take so long over choosing the colour that no sales would ever be made.

Jonathan

You can buy transparent canoes. Yachts next?
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Might be interesting for the boat show. No need to go aboard.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345