Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to fix a duff battery!

At last - a clear demonstration of the fact that a single microfibre in the condensate from a tumble dryer will kill a battery in seconds.

Just makes you realise there's nothing complicated in a lead acid battery. Just lead plates and sulphuric acid. It's worth rebuilding one in Pakistan because labour is cheap (and there's no inconvenient safety regulations).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Just makes you realise there's nothing complicated in a lead acid battery. Just lead plates and sulphuric acid. It's worth rebuilding one in Pakistan because labour is cheap (and there's no inconvenient safety regulations).
    Given the lack of respirators I think those men lung damage, and from handling lead they will only have a few years at work before they suffer kidney damage from lead poisoning.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Brilliant video.
    In the aircraft industry, in the 70's, a common practice to revive batteries was to drain the sulphuric acid, flush them, check the plates for distortion, condition etc, fill them with acid and charge them at a very low rate for 4 to 5 days. Then carry out a series of tests over a seven days period. Very few batteries failed the tests.

I was being ironic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    Given the lack of respirators I think those men lung damage, and from handling lead they will only have a few years at work before they suffer kidney damage from lead poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    At last - a clear demonstration of the fact that a single microfibre in the condensate from a tumble dryer will kill a battery in seconds.
    Good call.

Richard

Fascinating video. Back in around 1966 there was a company near Perth that did just that on a commercial scale in a small factory. I guess they disappeared from OH and S concerns and competition from new battery makers. I presume from the video he was using new plates. Presumably cast from lead. Also new separators from plastic. Or can you use old separators. Some of these 3 rd world country people can be very ingenious in their vehicle maintenance. ol'will

I'm busy collecting lead for the yacht I'm building. I've just about got it all but I was given a very large truck battery so I decided to melt it down. Amazingly (through trial and error) I dismantled the battery the same way as he did but it took me half a day not a couple of minutes as he did in the clip.

I waited for a strong wind to blow the fumes away from my property but the lead would not melt. (I finished up with a whole lot of very heavy gravel like material)
    Last edited by coopec; 08-11-19 at 00:55.

Fascinating!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I bet Elon Musk is shaking in his boots!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkv1nwcOOaA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12