Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feedback on Nimbus 380 Commanders?

Have any of the readers got any first hand feedback (good or bad) of the Nimbus 380 Commanders? Thanks, David.

Default Re: Feedback on Nimbus 380 Commanders?

Not first-hand feedback but we have considered the 380 and previous 370 as options to the point of viewing several. Interesting layout that has many benefits but as a slight downside crams the two cabins and heads in a bit up front. Overall build quality has always appeared to be what you would expect from Nimbus i.e. very good. Can’t say what they handle like but would expect them to be good seaboats and have read reviews which indicate such. Hopefully someone with actual experience will be able to comment more authoritatively.

There was an article on these boats in a recent issue of Motor Boat Owner. It only requires registration to check out this online magazine.
    Cheers
    Eric

A few years ago we accompanied one round Lands End in quite challenging conditions. It seemed to handle the seas very well for a boat of that size. Have also been on board a couple in harbor. As said above, they were well up to normal Nimbus standards of quality.

Might be worth you contacting the Nimbus Owners Club for feedback , I did consider one in Torquay last year but found the layout confusing so we opted for a new Nimbus 305 Coupe instead, happy to share my reasons if that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by kevingreystones View Post
    Might be worth you contacting the Nimbus Owners Club for feedback , I did consider one in Torquay last year but found the layout confusing so we opted for a new Nimbus 305 Coupe instead, happy to share my reasons if that would help.
    Id be interested in your reasons and experience with the 305 Coupe. Especially the space in cabins and heads.

Has there ever been anything but a good nimbus. One of the best in my opinion.

Agree, just got back from two days on my 305 , just love the boat , and enjoying winter boating with no-one at sea !!!

Always wanted one. Command strong money used.

We imported a 2005 Commander 380 from Nthn Ireland in 2016 and have never regretted it. Nordic Blue is a great sea boat and has taken us round the northeast NZ coast from Whitianga to Whangaroa. She has coped with big seas in Colville Channel (well known for rough water) and north of Cape Brett. Our cruising speeds are 16-18 knots on voyages or 7 knots in suitable conditions with no time constraints.
    The quality of construction (monitored by Det Norske Veritas) and refinement of the finish is impeccable and the interior arrangement suits us perfectly. Having Volvos on 'V' drives under the cockpit (easy pre-voyage engine checks) and two steps down from cockpit to saloon enables a full flybridge but low centre of gravity and windage. I would not own a boat in NZ without an open flybridge (for unobstructed helming and viewing of whales, dolphins, penguins and other wildlife) and 95% of our fine weather travelling is flybridge helmed.
    We are planning a 500nm month long trip this January. It will start at Hobsonville Marina in Auckland Harbour, go round the Coromandel Peninsular, down to Whitianga then up to Whangaparapara and Smokehouse Bay on Great Barrier Island. From there we will go to Whangaruru via Mokohinau Group and The Poor Knights Islands. We will go past the Bay of Islands and through the Cavalli Channel to Whangaroa.
    We leave Whangaroa, explore the Bay of Islands, call at Whangarei the head for home.
    Our annual trips to the UK incorporate our attendance at the Nimbus Owners Club AGM and Rally in Lymington and we would recommend joining this very sociable group should you buy a Nimbus.
    Hope the above has helped in your decision making but I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
    Cheers, Grae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast