Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Daft question about showers on yachts

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    Sure I know the true seadog uses a bucket and rinses off, but maybe in a Marina in the North of England it isn't so great. Most boats in my budget don't have showers. I don't mind - I'm used to bucket showers! So my question is, I can I just use a bucket in the head - does the water go into the Bilge and can then be pumped out? Or are the heads in yachts usually 'wet' rooms anyway?

Thanks

The sorts of boat you are looking at you won't want to consider a shower even if some optimist fitted one.

Takes far too much water, you may have as little as 10 galls in the tank. Your bucket and flannel might only use a few pints.
    There will hardly be enough room for a dwarf - even 40ft boats are pokey in this respect
    You will be too cold.
    As said, any dodgy water in the bilge will stink
    Plus, the last thing you need is any excess water below decks

When you reach the sunny south, showering on deck becomes the thing and the black shower bags mentioned are good.

It is best not to allow showers to drain into the bilge but to a drain sump fitted with an auto overboard discharge pump. It is easier to keep the wee sump clean than the the whole bilge and regardless of whether you pee in the shower or not the dirty water can create an unpleasant smell in the bilges .
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

I have a photo of SWMBO bathing in the anchor locker but she won't let me post it
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    I have a photo of SWMBO bathing in the anchor locker but she won't let me post it
    I'm sure it's illegal to tease like that!

W.

Gone Sailing -on the move exploring SE Asia

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    At last -
    I thought I was alone in actually using the facilities that take up valuable space. In a marina tonight and so showered on board before going out. Why I’ve never thought of trotting down the street to a communal bathroom or pouring water from a bin bag in the porch escapes me.
    We live onboard. We always shower onboard. We detest communal showers. Our own is always Clean.

Condensation has never been an issue. Summers and winters in the UK,Norway and the tropics.
    Ventilation is the key. Especially when you have to dry our. Laundry inside because it been raining for a. Week.
    Temptress of Down
    Check out our Blog

Quote Originally Posted by temptress View Post
    We live onboard. We always shower onboard. We detest communal showers. Our own is always Clean.

Condensation has never been an issue. Summers and winters in the UK,Norway and the tropics.
    Ventilation is the key. Especially when you have to dry our. Laundry inside because it been raining for a. Week.
    We find a dehumidifier fantastic even if only once or twice a year when it’s been raining hard but we need to cook, shower and dry clothes indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by temptress View Post

It very rarely comes up as an option for us. We we don't like marinas so we don't use them if anchoring is a viable option.
    We love being at anchor. Since we only sail in a hot climate then showering in the cockpit with our black hot watering can hoisted up the mizzen mast saves getting the shower dirty. We use the waste water from the watermaker ( the first bit that hasn't quite got low enough tds to put in the tank but is still fresh. The watering can has a length of hose and a proper shower head. Its as powerful as our proper shower in the heads and we get two good showers from about 12litres of water.
    The cockpit floor gets a rinse so whats not to like about it. We also shower below when we need to. We dont like shower bags as they have stupid little pipes and rubbish shower heads. They fall apart quickly and are a pain to fill.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234