Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Modern Motor Boat v Classical Motor Boat (Pre-WWII / 50s-70s) - Pros & Cons

Hello all,

I am looking to acquire a motor boat in the 20-24m range that I could operate myself with an ICC. I am looking also to live aboard the boat for extended periods of time (for weeks, totalling maybe 50-70% of the year) and to cruise around the Mediterranean, and later around the world. The budget I am looking at is 1.5-3m USD.

When it comes to houses, I am 100% for historical buildings and antique furniture. I love living in historical cities, have lived in houses that are 150, 300 and even 500 years old. I like history and all associated with it. I absolutely dislike modern design and would never live in a modern-styled house. Anything later than 1920s is almost always not in my taste.

Hence, when I look at motor boats, I don't like the interior of 95% of modern boats (and exterior for nearly 100% of them) from say the year 2000 and later. Conversely, most old boats appeal to me in terms of their looks outside and feel inside. I have seen quite a few boats made in 1950s-1970s that have a beautiful design. I also saw some motor boats from 1900s-1920s that also look beautiful to me.

Knowing that for many boats with greater age comes a greater number of problems, I wonder what the situation is like for really aged motor boats, say 1950s-1970s and 1900s-1920s. Are those actually useful for the purposes stated? Or are they more like antique collectables / toys that really should not be used too much? I understand there is more maintenance needed, but does it become such hassle that more time would be spent fixing/maintaining things than enjoying the boat? Would the bad weather tolerance or other negative factors be different on such old boats than on any boats from 2005-2015? Are they any more difficult to operate? I imagine a lot of conveniences for navigation / sailing that exist on modern boats would not be available on older boats? Does it make it more difficult operating them, especially for a beginner?

There are also some boats that were originally made in early 1900s and then were completely refit say within the last 10 years. So is buying a boat that is 70-100 years old but refitted say 5 years ago the same as just buying a used 5-year-old motor boat?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I want my thought process on this to be clear to maximise the value of received responses. Thanks.

Default Re: Modern Motor Boat v Classical Motor Boat (Pre-WWII / 50s-70s) - Pros & Cons

You will perhaps need to decide if your primary aim is to enjoy the boating or the boat.
    Glassfibre is almost impossible to destroy, wood starts to decay as soon as the tree is felled.
    With very very few expections old "classic" wooden motor boats have nil value except to their owners and should be considered more a labour of love.
    An old house or classic car could be regarded as an investment and you may make money or break even, on a boat this has never been the case in any price bracket.
    If you look at the brokerage listings a quick glance at the asking price will reveal much about the value of any wooden boat compared to glassfibre or other construction.
    Old engines are just one other thing to consider.
    You also might want to ask some of the "MED" based boaters about the ease of finding somewhere to moor a 75 ft boat let alone finding crew.
    Last edited by oldgit; 08-11-19 at 08:23.

Default Re: Modern Motor Boat v Classical Motor Boat (Pre-WWII / 50s-70s) - Pros & Cons

Steel hull. Epoxied with a recent survey.

I wouldn't touch anything else.

BB, having owned a timber boat for 17 years, I can see why you'd rather not touch one.
    Otoh, considering the OP tastes and the fact that he's planning to call his boat home, steel and timber is akin to chalk and cheese, imho.

I just did a search on Yachtworld for trawler type motor yachts (as you say you want to travel the world, so you will need a good range) between 20 - 24 metres, and US$ 1.5 - 3 million in price, and a motley assortment of vessels came up.
    Top of the list was this Vripack steel trawler - would she be classical enough for you?
    https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...l-79--2638999/
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    I just did a search on Yachtworld for trawler type motor yachts (as you say you want to travel the world, so you will need a good range) between 20 - 24 metres, and US$ 1.5 - 3 million in price, and a motley assortment of vessels came up.
    Top of the list was this Vripack steel trawler - would she be classical enough for you?
    I'm not picky. If he doesn't like it and wants to gift it on my way I wouldn't say yes reluctantly.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    BB, having owned a timber boat for 17 years, I can see why you'd rather not touch one.
    Otoh, considering the OP tastes and the fact that he's planning to call his boat home, steel and timber is akin to chalk and cheese, imho.
    I'm a wooden boat owner on a much smaller level and have been for 20 years, by necessity I DIY it. Its not something I would recommend!

A newsletter from Motor Boat & Yachting just arrived in my IN box - in it they mention that Spirit Yachts have just launched their new P 70 wooden motor yacht.
    https://www.mby.com/motor-boat-news-...toryacht-98526

More info at the Spirit Yachts site.
    A new vessel is probably going to cost a bit more than US$ 3 million though (?)
    https://spirityachts.com/spirit-p70/

Something like this?

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/de-v...tsch-66/538831

A 60's 'Gentlemans' MY built in steel must be the sweet spot. Not totally unreasonable maintenance but still has a classical look.

A feadship thats too big and too expensive but is this in the ballpark?

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/feadship-26m/622362

Interesting thread, I cant wait to see what somebody with knowledge of italian yards will contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    You will perhaps need to decide if your primary aim is to enjoy the boating or the boat.
    Glassfibre is almost impossible to destroy, wood starts to decay as soon as the tree is felled.
    With very very few expections old "classic" wooden motor boats have nil value except to their owners and should be considered more a labour of love.
    An old house or classic car could be regarded as an investment and you may make money or break even, on a boat this has never been the case in any price bracket.
    If you look at the brokerage listings a quick glance at the asking price will reveal much about the value of any wooden boat compared to glassfibre or other construction.
    Old engines are just one other thing to consider.
    You also might want to ask some of the "MED" based boaters about the ease of finding somewhere to moor a 75 ft boat let alone finding crew.
    Thanks for the info. A lot to think about.
    Not quite sure I understand the point about the crew. The boat is too big for that? Ideally, I want to get as many of my friends / family as possible to get ICCs and help around part time. I am also asking around some of my friends if anyone wants a free captain (me), so that I could learn on their boats.

It looks a bit like a student dorm inside to be honest. Also, I am hearing that trawlers are becoming fashionable these days (i.e. overpriced), so have mostly been skipping those. If I have to choose from the modern ones, the lighter-burghundy wood colour or dark-beige / brown colour wood is not bad sometimes. This one just reminds me of dorms...

A newsletter from Motor Boat & Yachting just arrived in my IN box - in it they mention that Spirit Yachts have just launched their new P 70 wooden motor yacht.
    https://www.mby.com/motor-boat-news-...toryacht-98526

More info at the Spirit Yachts site.
    A new vessel is probably going to cost a bit more than US$ 3 million though (?)
    https://spirityachts.com/spirit-p70/
    Not bad, although I understand those are still renderings rather than pics. Also, I have never before come across this maker, although I am a beginner in this. Regarding buying a new yacht, I would probably buy (if we talk about modern yachts) a 5-10 year old boat. I understand value per dollar is much better for yachts of this age, compared to the new one, in which you lose 20-30% of its value in the first year of use. Correct me if I am wrong here. Thus, if I don't go for a classic one, I am looking at boats from 2007-2015 roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    Something like this?

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/de-v...tsch-66/538831

A 60's 'Gentlemans' MY built in steel must be the sweet spot. Not totally unreasonable maintenance but still has a classical look.

A feadship thats too big and too expensive but is this in the ballpark?

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/feadship-26m/622362

Interesting thread, I cant wait to see what somebody with knowledge of italian yards will contribute.
    I have seen quite a few boats from De Vries Lentsch, whose design I really like. The one you link is definitely to my liking. Both the boat design and the interior. I actually previously looked at the boat called STALCA, which I think is the same as the one you linked, although I liked the history of STALCA, not that it matters, but definitely a nice story to entertain guests of the boat.

The Feadship you show, I liked more the exterior and maybe the living room area, but the white design of the rooms is not in my taste, but overall I like it more than most modern boats.

So what about these two options? Boats of that age, not wood as far as I understand, so they don't have the issues of the wood described above. Are those worthy a serious consideration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast