Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CE Marking

Default CE Marking

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of getting CE marking on a non-EU produced boat? My research so far reveals that this is a complicated subject!

Looking at a 2005 built boat shipped from the US to the UK/EU within the last five or six years as part of an extended cruising programme by the owner. Having completed their cruising plans the boat is on the market in the EU (not UK) and at some point VAT has been paid but the boat has no CE marking. My reading is that it should have CE to be sold, which would probably be doable but I have also read that current CE regs would apply as opposed to those applicable in 1995. Main issue here is engine (Yanmar), which if my reading is right, would have to comply with 2019 emission regs as opposed to 2005 regs. A quick Google search indicates that the model in question is not on the current compliant list.

Am I on the right track here in terms of my reading of the situation?

Default Re: CE Marking

CE Proof would be a good start http://www.ceproof.com/ce-marking to find out whether its doable and how much it will cost

Yes I believe that current CE regulations would apply but CE Proof will know better. If you didnt CE mark the boat, there is no CE Police wandering about trying to catch offenders so very likely you'll never be caught out. However, you might be voiding your insurance and you will have more difficulty reselling the boat without a CE certificate

I imported our 2006 regal from the states about 7 or 8 years ago & used CE proof to obtain ce marking for it. The engine emissions was an issue then however I was installing new "old stock" yanmar 6lps which weren't on the list even then. I think we got around it because the engines were already in the UK which took them out of the equasion.
    Prehaps you could (in theory) re engine with a couple of locally sourced identical engines.��

Thanks, I will give ceproof a try. I am thinking that a re-engine might actually be necessary to get CE. Not necessarily prohibitive because it is a low-ish hp single engine but would need to be reflected in the selling price.

You donīt need CE
    This only needed when a business sells a boat and not private

^ Not what I found when I sold my 2017 yacht via a broker, this was a few weeks ago. I had to provide the CE certificate. Which was easy as I had it.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    You donīt need CE
    This only needed when a business sells a boat and not private
    this isnt true. Only privately built boats are exempt and even then you have to own them for a certain amount of time after build.
    My american import had to be CE marked, even though it was a model you could buy here.

edit - rules here.
    https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...directive.aspx
    you need a CE mark if a home built boat is put on the market within 5 years of completion.
    Last edited by Elessar; 08-11-19 at 16:30.

Ah that's helpful to see the details, cheers.

Thanks for all the comments. I am reasonably happy that CE is required and that current rules would apply.
    An interesting discovery re VAT status as it transpires that the owners moved from outside the EU to the UK as as a possession the vessel was VAT exempt and this is a permanent state of affairs. Wasn’t aware of this particular exemption.

Don't think that's right either, I think that VAT and import duty is due on the import...? Might be wrong.
    https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...Pages/vat.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    ... interesting discovery re VAT status as it transpires that the owners moved from outside the EU to the UK as as a possession the vessel was VAT exempt and this is a permanent state of affairs. Wasn’t aware of this particular exemption.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast