Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CE Marking

Default Re: CE Marking

I've now read the detailed VAT guidance. I'm no expert but this seems reasonably clear:
    Quote Originally Posted by RYA and HMRC
    RYA QUESTION
    In what circumstances is UK VAT payable on a private pleasure vessel?

HMRC Answer
    VAT is payable on a private pleasure vessel when a“chargeable event” occurs. This could be:
    1. When a vessel is supplied in the course of business by a taxable person who is (or should be) registered for VAT.
    2. When a vessel is imported into the UK from a place outside the EU, and the importer is not eligible for a relief of charges, import VAT must be paid by the person or business importing the vessel. This includes cases where the vessel is imported by rail, cargo ship or trailer.
    3. When a UK resident buys a new vessel VAT free in another EU Member State under the ‘new means of transport’ arrangements, the vessel must be declared on arrival and UK VAT paid.

UK Customs cannot accept a VAT payment unless there is a chargeable event within the UK jurisdiction. Proof that VAT was paid must be retained to ensure that the VAT paid status of the vessel can, if necessary, be proved. This could be the original invoice / receipt or, in the case of an import, the import documentation showing payment of import VAT and any customs duty.
    Last edited by Scala; 08-11-19 at 23:00. Reason: typos
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Don't think that's right either, I think that VAT and import duty is due on the import...? Might be wrong.
    https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...Pages/vat.aspx
    Well I was dubious and pressed the Broker on the subject but he was adamant. He subsequently sent me a copy of a letter from HMRC referring to a Transfer of Residence Form being enclosed to prove that the vessel is vat exempt. It also says to keep it safe and pass it on to any new owner. I haven’t seen the form yet but the Broker assures me that he has it.

I also looked up the vat rules for bringing possessions and a car into the country on moving here and the vehicle is vat exempt if kept for personal use and not sold within a specified period, so the situation with the boat is also consistent with this. I guess the key thing is that the boat is an existing possession of the person moving from outside the EU to the EU.

Looking at the FAQ on the link from the RYA page it tends to confirm this at first pass - I think point 2 in your post above applies inasmuch as there must be eligibility for relief. Any subsequent transaction wouldn’t be a chargeable event if it is a private sale.

Needless to say I will get absolute confirmation if we progress further than our current interest.
    Last edited by Greg2; 08-11-19 at 23:10.

Where are you seeing this? There's no reference to 'transfer of residence' in the doc AFAICS

CORRECTION Just found it. Am reading it now.
    Last edited by Scala; 08-11-19 at 23:06. Reason: Update

OK found it. Might be OK ref VAT and Duty...!

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-from-the-uk

Form:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-relief-tor01

Original importing owner has to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    OK found it. Might be OK ref VAT and Duty...!

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-from-the-uk

Form:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-relief-tor01

Original importing owner has to apply.
    I hadn’t got as far as tracking these pages down so thanks for that. It appears implicit that the vat exemption endures because vat must be paid on possessions if they are sold within 12 months so after that no vat. In the case it seems that the owner made the application and has the relevant paperwork.

Every day is a school day!

Done CE a few times now. Quotes ranged from £600 to £6000 for the same outcome.
    Last edited by EugeneR; 09-11-19 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneR View Post
    Done CE a few times now. Quotes ranged from £600 to £6000 for the same outcome.
    Blimey, that is quite a price range! Any recommendations on who to use or tips on what is involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Blimey, that is quite a price range! Any recommendations on who to use or tips on what is involved?
    CE Proof will do the hull Approvals, but the power train is more difficult, and the best thing is to get a cert from the engine manufacturer as the cert testing is done on a test bed. It is not viable for you to do your own engine as it will need to be removed, fitted to a test bed then tested and refitted to your boat. You are probably talking north of £30k. A bespoke test rig will be needed, design and build. There is also pass by noise testing required. CE Proof will tell you all about this.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    CE Proof will do the hull Approvals, but the power train is more difficult, and the best thing is to get a cert from the engine manufacturer as the cert testing is done on a test bed. It is not viable for you to do your own engine as it will need to be removed, fitted to a test bed then tested and refitted to your boat. You are probably talking north of £30k. A bespoke test rig will be needed, design and build. There is also pass by noise testing required. CE Proof will tell you all about this.
    Blimey, £30k to test the engine?!
    Cheaper to just buy a new one compliant with current regs - it is only a small hp job!

I am thinking that it may be a costly exercise as a new engine could actually be reality because the current one meets 2006 EU regs but I suspect not current regs. I am not sure that the vendor will be prepared to compromise sufficiently on price. Mind you they have a problem with it being for sale in the EU with no CE certification.
    Last edited by Greg2; 09-11-19 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Blimey, £30k to test the engine?!
    Cheaper to just buy a new one compliant with current regs - it is only a small hp job!

I am thinking that it may be a costly exercise as a new engine could actually be reality because the current one meets 2006 EU regs but I suspect not current regs. I am not sure that the vendor will be prepared to compromise sufficiently on price. Mind you they have a problem with it being for sale in the EU with no CE certification.
    Are you sure the engine has to meet today’s regs? From an automotive basis, the regs are applied from the build date, not retrospectively. For example, if you imported a 2000 year Mustang, it will not meet today’s emission regs, and this is ok.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast