Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CE Marking

Default Re: CE Marking

To be honest I haven’t read it all. I just posted the correction when I read something half way up the page thAt said vat was due, which was wrong. I now see plenty of links above but they are pointless in this case. One should read the actual law, and consult .gov.uk, but ignore Mickey Mouse leaflets by RYA which as I have said on here many time are often wrong. Of course there is a difference as to your personal legal position between .gov.uk being wrong and RYA being wrong - that’s complex area of law in itself (“legitimate expectation”). If you want to understand complex law read the law or find someone who can and imho don’t ask RYA.
    Last edited by jfm; 10-11-19 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    ... I will get absolute confirmation if ...
    Don’t rely on a yacht broker to tell you what that looks like!

that’s complex area of law in itself (“legitimate expectation”).
    Yes it is and I would concur, get an legal expert to interpret it for you as it is a minefield and the last thing you need is to misinterpret it and make any assumptions.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Don’t rely on a yacht broker to tell you what that looks like!
    Absolutely not!
    And thanks for your confirmation on the VAT point, much appreciated. I am given to understand that the vendor has done what he had to do when they moved to the UK and I have seen the letter from HMRC but not the actual form (Broker says he has it and I can see it when we go over to view).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Thanks.
    I plan to talk to CE Proof in the first instance and will see how I get on. I am expecting it not to be easy!
    When I had CE proof certify my 3760 regal they advised that the engines had to comply with the european standards at time of certification not time of manufacture.
    This was about 7 years ago & things may have changed but that was their advice at the time.
    The whole process was relatively straightforward for us & not particularly costly in the grand scheme of things, about 2k all told for a boat approaching Ģ100k value at the time.

The right answer was in the first response. Talk to CEProof.
    What has not been discussed here is the question of where responsibility for RCD compliance lies. RCD is about “putting into service”, not “using”. So responsibility lies with the importer (presumably the current owner in this case) and cannot be transferred to anyone else (e.g. you). I think there is an exception for visiting non-EU boats (possibly only if they arrive on their own bottoms), but this requires subsequent removal from the EU.
    So if the boat is already in the EU, you shouldn’t need to worry about RCD compliance. The only restriction is that you cannot sell the boat “commercially”. I take this to mean “with the intention of making a profit”… not something that comes up for most of us. You can sell it privately. There’s no legal barrier to using a broker.
    I would expect CEProof to refuse to assess the boat, as you are not the importer. Of course you should satisfy yourself that the boat is safe to use and may need to explain all this to a future purchaser. My insurer didn’t care.
    You should also satisfy yourself that the EU import tariffs on US boats are not going to come into play (25%+VAT). Then there are gas safety requirements, AC electrics...

Quote Originally Posted by richardjacobs View Post
    The right answer was in the first response. Talk to CEProof.
    What has not been discussed here is the question of where responsibility for RCD compliance lies. RCD is about “putting into service”, not “using”. So responsibility lies with the importer (presumably the current owner in this case) and cannot be transferred to anyone else (e.g. you). I think there is an exception for visiting non-EU boats (possibly only if they arrive on their own bottoms), but this requires subsequent removal from the EU.
    So if the boat is already in the EU, you shouldn’t need to worry about RCD compliance. The only restriction is that you cannot sell the boat “commercially”. I take this to mean “with the intention of making a profit”… not something that comes up for most of us. You can sell it privately. There’s no legal barrier to using a broker.
    I would expect CEProof to refuse to assess the boat, as you are not the importer. Of course you should satisfy yourself that the boat is safe to use and may need to explain all this to a future purchaser. My insurer didn’t care.
    You should also satisfy yourself that the EU import tariffs on US boats are not going to come into play (25%+VAT). Then there are gas safety requirements, AC electrics...
    My original understanding was that the current owner had brought the boat into the EU as part of a programme of extended cruising so the exemption from CE that applies to visiting boats would apply (albeit it may have been shipped accross from the US). It transpired that whilst this was the case (the extended cruising bit) the owners had actually moved to the UK, hence the boat came as a personal posession and was deemed vat paid ( as discussed in previous posts). That being the case I dont think that import tarriffs are a factor but my reading was that the boat should have had CE certification done at that point.

Your point about 'putting into service' versus 'using' is an interesting one and I had been wondering whether there was somehting along these lines that meant that CE certification is not required in these circumstances. Notwithstanding jfm's comment about not relying on the Broker as a definitve source he was expressing the view that CE certification is not required in this case.

I will be speaking with CEProof, who for what it is wirht have now merged with HPI Verification Services.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    this isnt true. Only privately built boats are exempt and even then you have to own them for a certain amount of time after build.
    My american import had to be CE marked, even though it was a model you could buy here.

edit - rules here.
    https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...directive.aspx
    you need a CE mark if a home built boat is put on the market within 5 years of completion.

I know the rules around CE-certification very well
    The rules says you need it yes but do you actually need it? No you donīt
    Unfortunately CE works pretty bad on boats who tend to have a long life and the fact that we make changes to the boat over the years
    If you have the little sign or sticker with CE on your boat it doesnīt mean that your boat actually is CE-certified
    At one point it was yes but now is a different story
    For example
    If you donīt have the paperwork that says that your particular boat uppfills all requirements for CE your boat is no longer CE-approved(not many people has these paperwork)
    If you changed engine from a Penta 41 to KAD44 your boat is no longer CE-approved due to the higher hp
    If you change from gas to diesel engine your boat is no longer CE-approved
    If you change from Mercruiser 5.7 to Volvo Penta 5.7 your boat is no longer CE-approved
    The list can be made pretty long
    In other words there are thousands and thousands of boats out there who no longer is CE-approved
    Add all the boats who had CE made by the german company Navalis Yachts which later turned out to be non valid
    Also the fact that CE is a self controlled certification with absolutely no control at all

There for I say skip the CE and enjoy your boat. It wonīt be better or safer with CE
    If you still plan to do the CE you can always try to find the person who imported the boat once if itīs the same person who sold you the boat as he or she is responsible for the CE when putting it on the EU-market

Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    I know the rules around CE-certification very well
    The rules says you need it yes but do you actually need it? No you donīt
    Unfortunately CE works pretty bad on boats who tend to have a long life and the fact that we make changes to the boat over the years
    If you have the little sign or sticker with CE on your boat it doesnīt mean that your boat actually is CE-certified
    At one point it was yes but now is a different story
    For example
    If you donīt have the paperwork that says that your particular boat uppfills all requirements for CE your boat is no longer CE-approved(not many people has these paperwork)
    If you changed engine from a Penta 41 to KAD44 your boat is no longer CE-approved due to the higher hp
    If you change from Mercruiser 5.7 to Volvo Penta 5.7 your boat is no longer CE-approved
    In other words there are thousands and thousands of boats out there who no longer is CE-approved
    Add all the boats who had CE made by the german company Navalis Yachts which later turned out to be non valid
    Also the fact that CE is a self controlled certification with absolutely no control at all

There for I say skip the CE and enjoy your boat. It wonīt be better or safer with CE
    If you still plan to do the CE you can always try to find the person who imported the boat once if itīs the same person who sold you the boat as he or she is responsible for the CE when putting it on the EU-market
    This is interesting thanks. We don't own the boat - it is currently for sale on brokerage by the people who first brought it into the EU and our primary concern is about eventual re-sale and not putting ourselves in a disadvantageous position by having something that is very difficult to sell.

I have just spoken with HPI/CEProof and the person I spoke to advised that the boat should have had CE certification (RCD) done at the time that the boat was first brought into the EU. The current owner is responsible for getting it done and it is not something we could do as prospective or actual purchasers. They confirm that it is the current rules that would apply, with some exemptions, as opposed to those that applied when the boat was built. It is possible that the engine might comply with some rules that allow its use (it needs to be CE approved and the boat brought brought into the EU before January 2017, which it was)

So some answers and an indication of cost. The key thing will be if there is a problem with the engine or not.
    Last edited by Greg2; 11-11-19 at 14:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    For example
    Actually the way you have put it is not quite correct. Yes you are correct that if you change anything on a CE certified boat (or any other CE certified product) it is possible that you may void the CE certification but in theory the onus is then on the owner to get the boat re-certified and usually the only people who can do that is the manufacturer of the boat. So in theory, the owner should be contacting the manufacturer to advise them of any changes to the boat. Then in theory the manufacturer should be examining whats known as the Technical File to decide whether the changes do indeed void the CE certificate and, if so, what further modifications are required to ensure that the boat continues to meet the requirements for CE certification

Of course, in practice, none of that happens and owners happily make changes to their boats without thinking about whether they are voiding the CE certificate and the manufacturers dont care anyway and, as you say, there is no CE certificate police anywhere to control this anyway. However, there are 2 points to note. If an owner does modify his boat and that modification leads to an accident, then the authorities just might prosecute the owner on the basis of having voided the CE certificate. This happens in industrial situations although I've never heard of it happening to a private individual. Secondly a CE certificate is still part of the boat sales process so if a boat doesnt have a CE certificate or it is obvious to a potential buyer that modifications to the boat may have voided the CE certificate then the boat might be harder to sell

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast