Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    11,719

    Default A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    I have found that most UK people will be well aware of all the bighties that can kill you in Oz. Thanks to documentaries. Well this morning being glorious spring weather 32 max wife and I went for a swim in the Swan river just near home. me to wipe over the boat bottom and wife to swim a few laps. I had finished and was heading to shore when she tells me she has found a snorkel. We get lots of divers here and they often lose stuff. Good thinks I another add to the collection. She prodded me with it and I took it leaving her to do some more laps. I looked in the transparent mouth piece valve area and saw something moving. Thought it was tiny crab. Then looked again. It was a blue ringed octopus. Body about 1cm across tentacles perhaps 2 cms long. As I carried it into shore he climbed out the top of the snorkel and headed towards my hand. (slowly) He was despatched on the footpath then the rubbish bin. Wife wouldn't let me keep the snorkel. Seemed to think it was contaminated.
    These little creatures are very deadly. One can imagine what would happen if one breathed through the snorkel. It had been there perhaps a few days with a bit of barnacle beginning to grow. It is the first time I have seen a live one so pretty rare. Just thought you would love this tale to justify staying in your safe winter retreat. ol'will

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    And just made rarer, thanks to your act of destruction. Seriously, what gives you the right to destroy another living thing for no reason?
    Jonathan / Aeolus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,340

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
    And just made rarer, thanks to your act of destruction. Seriously, what gives you the right to destroy another living thing for no reason?
    Vegan warrior are we? He did the right thing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,340

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    I have found that most UK people will be well aware of all the bighties that can kill you in Oz. Thanks to documentaries. Well this morning being glorious spring weather 32 max wife and I went for a swim in the Swan river just near home. me to wipe over the boat bottom and wife to swim a few laps. I had finished and was heading to shore when she tells me she has found a snorkel. We get lots of divers here and they often lose stuff. Good thinks I another add to the collection. She prodded me with it and I took it leaving her to do some more laps. I looked in the transparent mouth piece valve area and saw something moving. Thought it was tiny crab. Then looked again. It was a blue ringed octopus. Body about 1cm across tentacles perhaps 2 cms long. As I carried it into shore he climbed out the top of the snorkel and headed towards my hand. (slowly) He was despatched on the footpath then the rubbish bin. Wife wouldn't let me keep the snorkel. Seemed to think it was contaminated.
    These little creatures are very deadly. One can imagine what would happen if one breathed through the snorkel. It had been there perhaps a few days with a bit of barnacle beginning to grow. It is the first time I have seen a live one so pretty rare. Just thought you would love this tale to justify staying in your safe winter retreat. ol'will
    we don't have so many deadlies but a spider on the isle of wight did this to me last year. Kept me off the boat for 6 months.

    oh well you are spared the pic, upload failed as usual I hate the pictures on this site. It would have put you off your breakfast anyhow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Isle of Eigg
    Posts
    7,708

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    Its the cold weather (climate) that keeps our bighties small and innocuous. Another doomsday tabloid headline prediction for MMGW: Blighty Bighties Bigger

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    "Vegan warrior are we? He did the right thing."

    Let me get this right - if you encounter something in the environment that might pose a risk, then you think it's OK to destroy it.

    So...all sharks should be killed, ditto all poisonous/constrictor snakes, all crocodiles, large cats.....

    Have you ever thought of sharing 'your' planet with other creatures?
    Last edited by Aeolus; 08-11-19 at 11:00.
    Jonathan / Aeolus

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Vegan warrior are we? He did the right thing.
    What a stupid thing to say. Why do you have to be a 'Vegan Warrior' (whatever that is) to be against the wanton killing of a rare species?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    15,768

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
    "Vegan warrior are we? He did the right thing."

    Let me get this right - if you encounter something in the environment that might pose a risk, then you think it's OK to destroy it.

    So...all sharks should be killed, ditto all poisonous/constrictor snakes, all crocodiles, large cats.....

    Have you ever thought of sharing 'your' planet with other creatures?
    Better to take your argumentative manner to the Lounge?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa
    Posts
    7,340

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    But you can see the blue ring octopus as small as it is, but you cannot see then Irukandji and its a deadly.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,683

    Default Re: A tale fo my UK friends about nasty bighties

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    But you can see the blue ring octopus as small as it is, but you cannot see then Irukandji and its a deadly.

    I had to google that. Nasty little blighter !!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to