Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default Re: Another what boat thread...

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyP View Post
    A Kingfisher 30 would do the job. One has done several Jester challenges. Many have covered your requirement in full.
    Having learnt to sail on a Kingfisher 30 in the mid 1960's, it will do the job. BUT it is a very slow boat and badly balanced. Not one I would suggest for the OP considering his budget as there are plenty of other better boats to choose from.

My suggestion would be something from Westerly or Moody. The only other boat not mentioned are the Parker lift keel boats.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Well I've been on a lot of 3 week cruises in my A22 around the Channel Islands and West Country with three adults - I fitted the boat out with a better cooker and sink years ago, but nowadays do little cooking aboard on weekend trips but a good gymballed stove is very handy on holiday cruises - just saying that reminds me of first trips with a schoolchum and ' Vesta meals '
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Yacht world I find quite dangerous.

Take the suggestion of a westerly berwick at, it seems to go for/ be offered at~£15k. I compare that to say a Rival 34 for ~20k which seems all together a more appealing prospect. Then I think if I shake the couch a bit harder I could pergaps stretch to ~£35k for a rival 36.

But then of course if I'm looking to spend that much, then £45k isnt perhaps too much of a stretch which will get me a 12m amel sharki so that looks far better value plus I get to spend a season or two in the med...

Then once I've been looking at Amels's then wee boats lose some lustre....
    Aye but I would expect your Berwick will actually go for 10 k or even less? Also, if you want a bilge keeper, look in Scotland where most boats are fin, prob be cheaper than on the east coast where they are most useful.

Here you, https://westerly-owners.co.uk/advert...ngbow-ketch-2/

Edited to add, damn, forgot you want bilge keels. Some Berwicks/ pentlands there tho

Hmm..take the ground, comfortable, ocean going and less than 31 foot

https://www.multihullworld.com/boatdetails.asp?id=14026

Moody 31 bilge keel.

Another vote for Hunter (British) here, Horizon 27, Horizon 30 and Channel 31. All available as twin keel, sail well, spacious and generally well built. Although some were home completed don’t let that put you off, for instance Channel 31 hull number 39 was particularly well finished!

Chris

Having owned a Hunter horizon 273 and had fitted out with the intention of doing the jester Azores but due to a family members illness never made the startline, it did become apparent the more I sailed it that offshore it would be a handful in fresher conditions and not a boat for comfort at sea on long passages.
    A better option to fit your criteria would be a catamaran, shoal draught, easily take the bottom and comfort and space for long periods aboard. Plenty of types to choose from but you should be able to find a prout Quest 31 in budget or next on list a catalac 8 or 9 metre. Depends if you want a racing yacht or safe and steady cruiser with some pace.
    I need vitamin Sea

I had a Dart 18 cat' and didn't like it, fast alright but zero feedback, it didn't talk to me through the tiller, just a machine going where pointed.

My aircraft designer sailing chum remarked ' the only time a multihull is truly stable is when it's upside down
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I had a Dart 18 cat' and didn't like it, fast alright but zero feedback, it didn't talk to me through the tiller, just a machine going where pointed.

My aircraft designer sailing chum remarked ' the only time a multihull is truly stable is when it's upside down
    If God had intended us to sail multihulls he would have given us multi- trunk trees. (Banyan tree excepted)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast