Default Spanish matriculation tax

Evening all,

Just wonder if anyone can give me the definitive answer regarding the liability for paying Spanish matriculation tax on a boat?

1. Is there a time limit on a UK registered and flagged boat (vat paid) can remain in Spanish waters before becoming liable?
    2. I know the person can only spend up to 182 days per year before becoming liable, but is that a calendar year (Jan to Dec) or a rolling 365 day period?

Cheers

Dtd

Default Re: Spanish matriculation tax

It's been some time since we spend time in Spain , we never had any problem , I do remember one year in Almerimar photo where taken of each yacht and a couple of brits did have a problem but it turned out both had apartments in Spain and one was running a business from his boat , we spend nine moths in Spain that year and didn't have any problem , one of our friends have been there for the last two years and they not said they had any problems .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I've been in Empuriabrava for eight years with my boat on the UK SSR and no problems. I'm thinking that while we're in the EU there's no problem staying indefinitely as a person but who knows what's going to happen after? I work in the UK so I'm back and forth anyway.

My understanding is that (at the moment) a boat can stay in Spain as long as you want but if you are seen to be there more than 6 months, you have to apply for residence and matriculate the boat. Plenty of people manage to stay under the radar such as a Dutch couple we met but, they then bought some land and the **** hit the fan as it became obvious they had been there for years in Chipiona marina. They had to pay IIRC €7k to import the boat.