Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A somewhat pink prop !

My props are starting to look a bit pink too.....l

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    My props are starting to look a bit pink too.....l

Is that the first openly gay propeller on this forum ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Before lashing out I would get a file and file a small portion in a sage place, I would bet that that dezincification isnt as deep as you think it is!
    I had a thru hull that looked that bad, after I changed it I hacksawed it through, the pink bit was only skin deep!
    Once it is off I shall treat it to a hard steel wire brush on the angle grinder and will soon see if it is only skin deep. I reckon if it does need changing to maintain balance I will have to replace both Port and Stbd.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Sorry to hear of your prop woes Trevor. Worth considering an outboard boat next time? Look to the right and you will see what my prop looks like next time you walk down your pontoon......

74945800_614.jpg
    Last edited by Hot Property; 09-11-19 at 22:45. Reason: Typo

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Interesting. So are you saying protecting brass/manganese bronze props with a zinc anode is not necessary?

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    If the only protection provided was to a fixed manganese prop that is probably the case. But the anode, either shaft or hull via a brush connection, is also protecting the prop-to-shaft galvanic couple and the washers/nut/split pin holding the prop onto the shaft. In the case of a folding or feathering prop there can be quite a variety of different materials involved that form their own galvanic couples.

This is a photo of the nut from my prop shaft when I had a fixed prop. There had always been a shaft anode. The nut is severely dezincified.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    Sorry to hear of your prop woes Trevor. Worth considering an outboard boat next time? Look to the right and you will see what my prop looks like next time you walk down your pontoon......

74945800_614.jpg
    Yes - but I would need quite a hydraulic ram to lift my props clear of the water !
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12