Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Ever worn a sailing helmet ?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    When wearing a helmet, you have to get used to the fact that you are effectively a couple of inches taller so will contact objects that without a helmet, you'd glide under.
    That was the problem I could never get used to!

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    That was the problem I could never get used to!

W.
    The first few times I wore a hard hat in industry that is the way I felt about it. After many years, that does not happen anymore. You re-calibrate. I hear people say they can't work with gloves on, yet ice climbers and workers in refining environments learn to. Mostly it's practice.

The snagging problem is the one that would bother me the most. There are places and times, though, where it seems to make some sense. Up the mast in rough weather (not at the dock) and some low-boomed boats and single handing those same boats in rough weather. College teams seem to have a problem with boom strikes, since you get a mix of experiences and a lot of excitement.

We take our kids and their scooters. I make them wear their scooter helmets when it's growly, mainly for when they have to go below.

I have taken to doing the same; I have a wakeboard helmet from Da Kine which does well.

A fall across the inside of the yacht is a highly probable head injury, more so (I believe) than boom strike on our boat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123