Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Noah's Ark in Ipswich

A replica of Noah's Ark, 70 metres long has arrived in Ipswich and is due to stay about 3 months!!

https://www.facebook.com/ipswichstar...36315974/?t=26

Video of it arriving.

Default Re: Noah's Ark in Ipswich

I took this picture of it three years ago near Rotterdam. I suspect that your soul will be seriously at risk if you go too near it. The caption say something like 'You won't miss the boat with Jesus'.

PS. I don't think that Jesus made it onto the Ark.

Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

My, that's pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    My, that's pretty!
    I expect they used the original plans, after converting from cubits to metric.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

What is it's purpose? Some sort of nautical god-botherng sect or just a daft boat in the barrel-across-the-atlantic style?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    What is it's purpose? Some sort of nautical god-botherng sect or just a daft boat in the barrel-across-the-atlantic style?
    I think johnalison's reported caption 'You won't miss the boat with Jesus' might give you a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    It's said to be "a centre of learning, where people from a range of cultures and beliefs can come together and share their stories". Housing a museum which also includes a 12ft tall Tree of Life, the ark in its current form is the creation of Dutch artist and TV producer Sir Aad Peters. Inside are quirky and creative sculptures telling the story of the bible through Sir Peter's artistic vision. It's in Ipswich for up to three months, in what organisers are thankfully calling a "once in a lifetime" visit.

Tickets are only £16.50 so I'm sure the good folk of Ipswich will be queuing up to visit....

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrozoan View Post
    I think johnalison's reported caption 'You won't miss the boat with Jesus' might give you a clue.
    Addendum: To be more accurate, although it was apparently originally built by a Dutch creationist, it was later sold to an artist so its current purpose may be different - as pvb's post may suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan%27s_Ark

On shape, I'm not so sure that - form following function - the ark is so very different from many other hull forms down the centuries.
    Last edited by Hydrozoan; 09-11-19 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrozoan View Post
    Addendum: To be more accurate, although it was apparently originally built by a Dutch creationist, it was later sold to an artist so its current purpose may be different - as pvb's post may suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan%27s_Ark
    Ah, so the one in Ipswich is the half-size version, not the one johnalison took a photo of.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Ah, so the one in Ipswich is the half-size version, not the one johnalison took a photo of.
    It would seem so - and interestingly, half the length apparently translated to a quarter of the cost, though perhaps that is affected by Johan Huiber's building the small one mostly by himself, rather than with eight helpers. Both quite a feat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast