Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Noah's Ark in Ipswich

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I took this picture of it three years ago near Rotterdam. I suspect that your soul will be seriously at risk if you go too near it. The caption say something like 'You won't miss the boat with Jesus'.

PS. I don't think that Jesus made it onto the Ark.

I think they are 'avin a girrarffe

With thanks to New Yorker magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_w View Post

With thanks to New Yorker magazine.
    Very good - and it reminds me of a cherished pottery ark for pottery animals, all made by the younger daughter for her maternal grandmother, in which the giraffes were accommodated by an open (and hazardous) hatch in that manner. Mrs Noah was thought a particularly fine representation, and looked rather more likely to be in command than her consort.

Interesting what comes through Ipswich, I have recollections that when I was about 8 years old back in the 50’s , as kids we often used to go down to the docks and see stuff being unloaded, once we found a hoard of ball bearings some of which we ‘nicked’ . I also vaguely remember ‘Robbie’ the robot from the film ‘Forbidden Planet’ being unloaded there before being taken off for a publicity tour.

Some time ago I happened to bubble across a YouTube video by Irving Finkel of the British Museum who was given access to a Babylonian clay tablet relating the Epic of Gilgamesh and described in great detail how the Arc should be constructed. Above all, it was supposed to be round.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin10032 View Post
    Some time ago I happened to bubble across a YouTube video by Irving Finkel of the British Museum who was given access to a Babylonian clay tablet relating the Epic of Gilgamesh and described in great detail how the Arc should be constructed. Above all, it was supposed to be round.
    It is interesting how the flood myth also appears in the Epic of Gilgamesh, and maybe elsewhere as well. I think that it was the Med breaking into the Black Sea that gave rise to the idea, an event that I would love to have witnessed. I believe that it took about a week to fill, so plenty of time to build an arklet for my family. There is a sort of oratorio by Martinu on the subject which I have on CD but haven't picked up for some years.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Fascinating too to see that Yggdrasil features in this far from Nordic adventure.
    Is the Simorgh similarly involved?

Many cultures have a flood story.

Though the good folk of Fishlake would probably wish otherwise.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

It would have to conform to EA rules & get a licence, survey, da de da

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    It is interesting how the flood myth also appears in the Epic of Gilgamesh, and maybe elsewhere as well. I think that it was the Med breaking into the Black Sea that gave rise to the idea, an event that I would love to have witnessed.
    'The flood myth motif is found among many cultures as seen in the Mesopotamian flood stories, Deucalion and Pyrrha in Greek mythology, the Genesis flood narrative, Pralaya in Hinduism, the Gun-Yu in Chinese mythology, Bergelmir in Norse mythology, in the arrival of the first inhabitants of Ireland with Cessair in Irish mythology, in the lore of the K'iche' and Maya peoples in Mesoamerica, the Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa tribe of Native Americans in North America, the Muisca, and Cañari Confederation, in South America, Africa, and some Aboriginal tribes in Australia.'

From Wikipedia 'Flood Myth' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth

It also discusses whether any of these can be related to actual historical events, and says of the Med/Black sea breakthrough that the idea is 'quite controversial'.
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast