Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dazzling the COLREGS

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Almost exactly the same thing happened to me many years ago on my Yachtmaster exam. Coming down the Medina River before dawn I thought the bright lights were floodlights on one of the wharves but realised very late that they were "headlamps" on the Blade Runner barge. (A bit of a wind energy theme?). I took rapid avoiding action then the examiner said, "What could we have done differently there?".
    That explains the vessel which entered Newtown Creek at low springs in the dead of winter night. Intricate navigation issues were aided by a light so bright it could have turned the new moon full

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    That explains the vessel which entered Newtown Creek at low springs in the dead of winter night. Intricate navigation issues were aided by a light so bright it could have turned the new moon full
    Touché.

But in my defence Medina River is lit. Newtown River isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Touché.

But in my defence Medina River is lit. Newtown River isn't.
    Seriously though, a car-like high beam which lights the water ahead from 5-200m in a c.30 degree arc is an excellent idea.

We all have those powerful torches that blast their tiny beams far into the night. And we’ve all seen them, the yacht with its lost searchlight first illuminating that distant boat, then a puzzled cow in a nearby field as it munches its supper. As the crew marvels at this nighttime wonderland, the worried helmsman can only hope as he gingerly put-puts along.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Ok so what is this boat that is moving from right to left showing a green nav light when sitting on my club varanda ?
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

A sailing vessel drifting in that direction (astern) in the current perhaps

What do i win?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    Ok so what is this boat that is moving from right to left showing a green nav light when sitting on my club varanda ?
    Why is a boat sitting on your club verandah at all?
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Why is a boat sitting on your club verandah at all?
    OK OK I just forgot the "I am"

Its a power driven boat and it's not docking BTW
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Trawling?
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Back at the beginning of October I was sailing with a friend on his Moody 31. We left the mooring just South of the Barrow to Walney Island bridge at 04:00 and set off down the Walney Channel with a sluicing ebb tide under us. After being disconcertingly chased by a suction dredger just off the mouth of the Barrow Docks we motored happily down the channel in pitch darkness keeping an eye on the well lit buoys and posts.

I became aware of two bright lights some distance ahead. It wasn't clear what they were, nothing on the chart, so I assumed thay were deck lights on a workboat or some such. The lights began to get a bit bigger and brighter, but obviously this was to do with our rapid motion down the channel with the tide, it looked as if they were to the stbd side of the channel ... we motored on.

Suddenly, or so it seemed, the lights were very large and closing rapidly, and eventually when very close it was just possible to see a red nav light beside the white glare. It was one of the windfarm workboats travelling quickly with two powerful 'headlights'.

The skipper was a bit quicker than I was to recognise that this was an oncoming vessel and shoved the helm over. I worry that I might not have reacted in time and we could have had a problem.

What do people think? I can quite see that the workboat wants to see where it's going and doesn't want to hit unlit mooring buoys, seals, submarines, broken down fishing boats, escaped containers etc. And presumably (?) while it's doing this it's keeping a good lookout (?) , but it knocks a huge hole in the COLREGS and makes it impossible for other craft to see where it's going or how to keep out of its way.

I was doubtful about posting this until I came across a Norwegian AIB report into the collision between the frigate Helge Ingstad and the tanker Sola TS in a Norwegian fjord a year ago. If you remember the consequences for the frigate were somewhat terminal. It appears that a similar problem with bright lights was a contributing factor:

"When Sola TS set out on its northbound passage with the forward-pointing deck lights turned on, it was difficult for the frigate’s bridge team to see the tanker’s navigation lights and the flashing of the Aldis lamp, and thereby identify the ‘object’ as a vessel. The shipping company Tsakos Columbia Shipmanagement SA had not established compensatory safety measures with regards to the reduction of the visibility of the navigation lights due to deck lighting."

https://gcaptain.com/norway-releases...lision-report/
    Well you did much better than the Norwegians.
    At least you figured out it was a boat.

Non compliant as you suspected. Rule quoted already. Even so a common practice round here. Fishing vessels are particularly annoying. eg. the Alaskan crabbing guys. Work boats water taxies often run at speed at night with forward facing “log lights” logs especially dead heads being a particularly nasty hazard, you get used to it,
    Kind of buggers your night vision though.
    I find if I shine a high powered light back, they will often douse them until they pass. Kind of like cars with high beams.
    Most will respond to a polite request on VHF, VTS or Ch 16

Given it’s a known hazard, I find it acceptable. If they are considerate of other vessels.

Personally I find I can see better without log lights. If I pick up an unlite return on radar. I shine a search light. Sometimes it’s ha tree sometimes it flies away. Occasionally it’s some edgit in an little boat with no lights.

Sometimes it’s me rowing back to the boat.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 12-11-19 at 06:49.

There is an interesting video animation of the Helge Ingstad collision here:
    https://gcaptain.com/investigation-v...on-must-watch/

Raises lots of questions ...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast