Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best setup for Antares Charts?

What do people use (and find to be straightforward) to view Antares charts?

I have been using the recommended Memory Map on an Android tablet but I don't find it at all easy and intuitive. My MM charts are now getting on a bit (2013) and I was thinking of updating but since I don't actually use the MM charts part much, I wondered if there's a better way to go, ideally sticking with the Android tablet.

Would OpenCPN be a good move?

Derek

Default Re: Best setup for Antares Charts?

Whatís your concerns with Memory Map?
    Seems to work fine for me on iPad, phone and laptop. Clearly using Antares Charts, which cover small areas, things like route planning etc are not relevant - itís just about being able to pull up the relevant chart quickly and see the boat location positioned accurately over the chart. Which it does perfectly.
    PS. If your charts are from 2013 definitely worth upgrading, as massively more areas charted since then. A new release tends to come out January-ish, so may be worth waiting to get the latest one?
    Last edited by dunedin; 09-11-19 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by cpedw View Post

I have been using the recommended Memory Map on an Android tablet but I don't find it at all easy and intuitive. My MM charts are now getting on a bit (2013) and I was thinking of updating but since I don't actually use the MM charts part much, I wondered if there's a better way to go, ideally sticking with the Android tablet.

Would OpenCPN be a good move?

Derek
    I have it working on Win10 and Android. I'm not really impressed with the way MM licensing operates - it seems to assume you have perfect connectivity any time you use it. Not the case up in the western Isles. I have got it (MM) to function, but it's not intuitive.

The Antares part of the system works much as it should and is excellent.

Antares works seamlessly with the MM full Admiralty charts and OS maps on iOS and Windows, never used Android but I can’t imagine it is much different. If MM is not easy to use I think you will have more difficulty in all the other systems.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

I have Admiralty Charts and Antares on an Android Tablet, accessed through Memory Map. Once you eventually get the Antares charts installed, they work seamlessly for me. Incidentally, there may not be a new issue of Antares this Spring, as Bob took a break from any further surveys this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    What’s your concerns with Memory Map? ?
    It only ever shows a single chart so there's often a lot of white screen.
    Waypoints and Routes are independent entities; I am accustomed to a Route being a collection of Waypoints.
    I can only ever measure a distance from the current location and with the 1 chart showing problem, it's hard to find the place you want to measure to.

Having said that, I have found Antares charts invaluable though a couple of favourite isolated places have been getting busier recently.

A useful tip about likely date for the new release, thanks.

What, is Bob taking another year off? What a slacker However, the portfolio is already way big enough for me.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    . Incidentally, there may not be a new issue of Antares this Spring, as Bob took a break from any further surveys this year.
    There was no release in 2019, but the website suggests there could be one in Jan 2020.

I view them as images. The Memory Map install instructions are bizarrely complicated and I use MX Mariner normally.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I view them as images. The Memory Map install instructions are bizarrely complicated and I use MX Mariner normally.
    I think you're missing out then. Having the boat's position marked unambiguously on the Antares chart has got us through several complex places very straightforwardly.

I agree the Antares installation is a bit complicated but following the instructions literally has allowed me to get it all working OK. The pilotage notes are an added bonus. I just wish MM was more transparent.

Derek

I think you're missing out then. Having the boat's position marked unambiguously on the Antares chart has got us through several complex places very straightforwardly.

I agree the Antares installation is a bit complicated but following the instructions literally has allowed me to get it all working OK. The pilotage notes are an added bonus. I just wish MM was more transparent.
    I'd certainly install Antares on MX Mariner if I could, but I haven't yet managed to get the conversion software to run. I'll give it another go some time.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast