Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Best setup for Antares Charts?

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    I have Admiralty Charts and Antares on an Android Tablet, accessed through Memory Map. Once you eventually get the Antares charts installed, they work seamlessly for me. Incidentally, there may not be a new issue of Antares this Spring, as Bob took a break from any further surveys this year.
    I believe that he took a break last winter from converting his surveys to charts, but that he was out surveying as usual this summer, and therefore there are to be two summers worth of surveys to be uploaded this spring, resulting in over 500 Antares charts.

More charts? I am struggling to get to 10% of the anchorages as it is. Will have to think very carefully about whether I am ever likely to visit the new ones.
    You younger guys could carry on, just like Munro or island bagging, how many can you get to in a lifetime?

There is a lot of difference in functionality between Memory- Map on a tablet and on a PC. I think you may be expecting too much if you are trying to use MM as your main plotter and running it on a tablet and a next question would be "what is your back-up?". I have used MM on a laptop and set up routes ok and the 3D run view is very interesting. I use MM plus Antares on my tablet in the cockpit for going into anchorages as my old chart plotter is down in the saloon.

The problem with linking Antares to MM is that you have to follow Bob's instructions PRECISELY, which is something many of us are not good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&Rene View Post
    The problem with linking Antares to MM is that you have to follow Bob's instructions PRECISELY, which is something many of us are not good at.
    Perhaps this is an intentional aptitude test for potential Antares Charts users? If you can’t follow things PRECISELY then could be at risk navigating with them through the many very narrow and very rocky channels

I find, navigating primarily by Navionics on my IPad mini that it is easy to start MM as I approach an anchorage and zoom in through the admiralty charts till the Antares chartlet appears, then return to navionics which has been running in the background recording my track, till on or very close to the area covered by the Antares chartlet when I can put Navionics into the background and use Antares. The only thing which I find a little disconcerting using Antares via MM is that the progress of the position symbol seems a bit more jerky than in Navionics. I realise that the greater scale of the Antares chartlet may be a cause, but also wonder if the MM samples the gps signal less frequently?
    I agree with those who have regretted the convoluted process of getting the Antares chartlets into MM and the unintuitive way that MM otherwise operates.
    Very good news that next year we are to be treated to a double dose of new material!

Maybe I’m missing a trick here but I download the Antares to PC, plug in iPhone / iPad to PC. Start iTunes, delete old charts from iPhone/ iPad, copy new ones in. Sync and then open MM. click activate. Job done.

it is quite simple.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

If I understand correctly, you want to be able to have:

- a big area chart showing your approach to the anchorage

- as you approach the anchorage zoom in to the Anteres Chart.

I may be wrong, but I though you *can* do that on OpenCPN...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

That's about it. But so far you are the only CPN -friendly respodent, and you don't sound so sure ... I was hoping for a few unequivocal Yes or Nos. Answers so far seem to indicate I need to improve my MM skills.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

That is dead easy to do on Memory Map if you have the Admiralty Charts set. Use the Admiralty one then when get closer in select detailed Antares Chart - by zooming or using the charts at location list.

Quote Originally Posted by cpedw View Post
    That's about it. But so far you are the only CPN -friendly respodent, and you don't sound so sure ... I was hoping for a few unequivocal Yes or Nos. Answers so far seem to indicate I need to improve my MM skills.

Derek
    Well, OpenCPN is free. Nothing to stop you trying it.

I haven't got an Anteres Chart to test. But I know you can do it with other charts...

You'd need to pick a chart system to use for the "big picture"... ...but you could test with any random chart...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast