Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saildrive plug

Default Re: Saildrive plug

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Originally ATF was specified but that was changed in a service bulletin issued IIRC in 2010 to engine oil

I found a link to the service bulletin a few days ago. Cant find it again of course

The exception is the 120S-E ( fitted to some more powerful engines ) which uses a gear oil
    So I've managed to get a pela a little way in - the oil fill hole is the same as the dip stick hole in my 120S-D, as the Pela was doing its think I found a locker on Mirage with engine spares! Useful! However, in there is Volvo Penta ATF fluid, so I'm guess that is what is in the sail drive.

Bearing in mind with the pela I might get out 80% of the oil, does ATF and oil mix or is that a recipe for disaster? How do I tell if what's been extracted is ATF and not oil?
    Last edited by MagicalArmchair; 15-11-19 at 13:15.

If it's red/pink then it will be ATF. If it's the yellow/brown colour of normal oil then it's not going to be easy to tell the difference. AFT and thin engine oil do usually smell slightly different but that's going to be a rather subjective test.

They will mix OK but I would definitely suck out as much as you can before mixing.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalArmchair View Post
    So I've managed to get a pela a little way in - the oil fill hole is the same as the dip stick hole in my 120S-D, as the Pela was doing its think I found a locker on Mirage with engine spares! Useful! However, in there is Volvo Penta ATF fluid, so I'm guess that is what is in the sail drive.

Bearing in mind with the pela I might get out 80% of the oil, does ATF and oil mix or is that a recipe for disaster? How do I tell if what's been extracted is ATF and not oil?
    It does not matter if you don't get all the ATF out. VP said this when the instruction to change from ATF to engine oil was first issued.
    IIRC they suggested that if the boat could not be taken out out of the water to drain the saildrive completely it was OK to simply suck out the oil from the upper gear box and refill with engine oil.

Possible your oil screw has been fitted with the incorrect seal so is jammed in. Even possible the seal had faded or was never there!

Use a very large flat bladed screwdriver, one with a squared flat faced shaft. Apply a spanner to the shaft and arrange for max upward pressure on the screwdriver. Apply turning pressure - always works for me, but I have seen yards use impact tools as described in this thread.

Always check the colour of the oil when released into the waiting bucket - any signs of discolouration and you should suspect the shaft seals - immediate replacement indicated; less than £50 from Keypart. Ensure the shaft is not scored or the new seals will fail; a collar can be floated onto the shaft to remedy the scoring - not a difficult job but benefits from some expertise. Buying a new shaft costs lots.

Best,

PWG

PWG

From South Devon, living SE coast Spain, boat in S.Spain

A few years ago while the boat was ashore for the Winter I decided to change the gear box/saildrive leg oil, not because the oil was cloudy , but as a routine maintenance item.
    I found the bottom plug was effectively sealed in with a lot of anti-fouling which I cleared. The plug then came out albeit with some difficulty. The oil was 'as new' in appearance but no matter. I bought a new plug seal which is an 'o' ring and re-fitted the plug with the correct torque - 10 Nm.

M.
    Bavaria 44
    Retro navigation - the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    If you change the oil in any gearbox or differential, boat or car, every year if you are using good quality oil and there is no visible degradation or contamination of that oil, then you are simply wasting your time and money.

However, it's a free country so one can, of course, do what whatever one feels comfortable with, commensurate with one's engineering experience.

Richard
    Hi Richard

As you say, each to their own...but I might add that comparing all marine gearbox or drive train to a car gearbox is an apples and oranges comparison.

I might also add that some marine gearbox are straight cut dog clutch design. They by their very nature mechanically wear in operation. Leaving a small bit of metal swarf in the oil each year...hence the magnetic drain screw. Itís essential to change the oil every year...

But perhaps to summarise and surpass all that...itís in the bloody manual. Who in their right mind would advise against that ?
    As a former mca coded class 2 marine engineer, I canít let this one go really.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Hi Richard

As you say, each to their own...but I might add that comparing all marine gearbox or drive train to a car gearbox is an apples and oranges comparison.

I might also add that some marine gearbox are straight cut dog clutch design. They by their very nature mechanically wear in operation. Leaving a small bit of metal swarf in the oil each year...hence the magnetic drain screw. It’s essential to change the oil every year...

But perhaps to summarise and surpass all that...it’s in the bloody manual. Who in their right mind would advise against that ?
    As a former mca coded class 2 marine engineer, I can’t let this one go really.

All the best.
    I stripped down and rebuilt my first gearbox in 1970.

Of course, I didn't suck out the old oil with a Pela which everyone does now .... which kinda puts your magnetic swarf into context.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 17-11-19 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I stripped down and rebuilt my first gearbox in 1970.

Richard
    Does not mean you did it right, or that you can still do it right.
    Just means that you are probably older than 59 years.
    So not that far short of " doddery old fart" age
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Does not mean you did it right, or that you can still do it right.
    Just means that you are probably older than 59 years.
    So not that far short of " doddery old fart" age
    I did my first gearbox overhaul in the early 1970s but my first complete engine overhaul in 1969

I am well past "doddery old fart". More like "One foot in the grave"

We all have stories of the past
    But try telling kids of today that
    they will never believe you
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 17-11-19 at 16:24.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast