Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saildrive plug

Default Saildrive plug

Hi there,
    Any tips for getting the drain plug out of a Volvo MD2020 sail drive, really stuck and I donít want to mess it up . Is there a special tool or is it just a large flat head and brute force.

Many Thanks
    T

Default Re: Saildrive plug

I used a handheld impact driver on mine when it got seized. Whack it with a lump hammer or hammer (I use a lead mallet). It's sprung so it won't cause any damage. The added benefit is that you will find it comes in useful every couple of years for the rest of your life. It's a must have tool in my opinion.

https://www.toolstation.com/impact-d...bit-set/p90581

90581.jpg
    Edit - the reviews for this make aren't that good so maybe buy a more expensive one. Mine was made in Japan and has lasted nearly 50 years so far.
    Last edited by Dipper; 09-11-19 at 21:06.

If you're changing the shaft seals then I wouldn't even bother to remove the drain plug as you will get more oil out when you remove the shaft as there's a dead area in the bottom of the leg.

If you're just changing the oil, then I've never bothered with that unless the seals need replacing as well. The oil, in the absence of seawater ingress, will last for years.

Richard

Or simply pump the oil out through the dip stick hole - similar to how most pump the oil out of the engine.

Avoids the risk of the plug leaking and only discovering after relaunched

Thanks for the tips. Plan B is to take a sample of oil if it looks clean , leave it. Itís a new boat to me so going through everything to see where I stand after a season.

Quote Originally Posted by tsekul View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Plan B is to take a sample of oil if it looks clean , leave it. It’s a new boat to me so going through everything to see where I stand after a season.
    A good plan is to check to saildrive oil on the dipstick or even just look down into the dipstick hole with a torch. If there is water in the oil it will look like coffee with milk (often referred to as mocca/mocha). If the saildrive has not been run for a long time the water might have settled at the bottom but running engine in gear for a minutes will stir it all up and, if any water is in there, the translucent mocca will appear.

If the oil is clear but very dark in colour and the seals are therefore OK you could just suck it out through the dipstick hole. It's not a clear access down into the leg with the suction tube and, even with a lot of fiddling about, you might only get half the oil out but that will be fine.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 10-11-19 at 11:38.

Normally a good screw drive with a pair of mole grap will do the job , if your really worried about changing the oil and you can't remove the oil screw then just remove the bearing housing but make sure you have a new housing seal ring
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

After the above comments, you may have changed your mind about removing it, but if not, get yourself an impact screwdriver like this

59738.jpg

Actually, get one anyway. Better, get yourself a set like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...win-pack/210hf

Hammer drill and impact wrench. That pair are on the list of things I didn't know I couldn't live without until I had them. Between them and a Lidl SDS drill, I've got all my needs covered. I didn't bother to replace my mains hammer drill when it died.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

On mine I used a square shaft screwdriver, with a spanner on, seated on the plug using a bottle jack to hold it securely in place.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    If the saildrive has not been run for a long time the water might have settled at the bottom but running engine in gear for a minutes will stir it all up and, if any water is in there, the translucent mocca will appear.
    This is a good point as my oil looked clear on the dipstick after being ashore for a few weeks and yet when I went to change it, all the emulsion was at the bottom.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast