Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saildrive plug

Default Re: Saildrive plug

Take the opportunity to remove propeller and grease splines before refitting
    You may well be glad you did later!

Get yourself a large screwdriver. The plug for a 120 saildrive should be slotted.
    Push up hard with both hands & get a friend. (If you do not have one ask the wife. If you do not have one of those either, some might say you are lucky) to turn it with a pair of mole grips.
    WARNING
    Do not put your face next to the saildrive. If the screwdriver slips it could come up the side of the saildrive. The end of the screwdriver will be the last thing you ever see with the eye closest to the drive. If you are really lucky it might only go up your nose. In which case tell the wife not to twist it.

Regardless of comments to the contrary above I would change the oil regularly .
    When replacing the plug always use a new washer of the correct type.
    I did not & it cost me 4 lost days of a holiday & 180 euros for a lift out in Cherbourg to change the oil - & washer
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Regardless of comments to the contrary above I would change the oil regularly .
    When replacing the plug always use a new washer of the correct type.
    I did not & it cost me 4 lost days of a holiday & 180 euros for a lift out in Cherbourg to change the oil - & washer
    Isn’t that an excellent set of arguments for replacing the oIl by pumping out from above (which can be done afloat) rather than messing around with a plug which is currently well sealed?

On my 120S it is virtually impossible to get anything down through the filler hole. Its full of cogs and even if I could, there would be a risk of the plastic tube getting jammed inside the saildrive.

I cut down an old chisel with an angle grinder to make a flathead screwdriver that was exactly the right size for my sail drive. Just remember where you put it for next time you want it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
    On my 120S it is virtually impossible to get anything down through the filler hole. Its full of cogs and even if I could, there would be a risk of the plastic tube getting jammed inside the saildrive.
    I was following this closely as I was planning to do my sail drive (mine is a 120S) - pelaing the oil out looked like the perfect answer - clearly not if the above is anything to go by.

Back to plan A and undoing the plug. I like the idea of grinding a chisel down to make the perfect fit!

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalArmchair View Post
    I was following this closely as I was planning to do my sail drive (mine is a 120S) - pelaing the oil out looked like the perfect answer - clearly not if the above is anything to go by.

Back to plan A and undoing the plug. I like the idea of grinding a chisel down to make the perfect fit!
    120 SE Saildrive oil can be sucked out with a Pela by using the dipstick hole, the thin tube for the Pela and a degree of patience in wangling the tube down to the bottom of the drive. Then a fair wait as the vacuum does its job, as the oil is fairly thick and gloopy. Using the filler cap hole is a none starter as the shaft terminates in a bearing just under it.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    120 SE Saildrive oil can be sucked out with a Pela by using the dipstick hole, the thin tube for the Pela and a degree of patience in wangling the tube down to the bottom of the drive. Then a fair wait as the vacuum does its job, as the oil is fairly thick and gloopy. Using the filler cap hole is a none starter as the shaft terminates in a bearing just under it.

For some reason I never thought of the dip stick hole. Mind you, access to my saildrive is too tight to contemplate anything.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post

On my 120 (not sure of letters) saildrive the filler cap hole is the dipstick hole & the oil is 15W 40, although Volvo recommend automatic transmission fluid.So not particularly thick. No way to use a Pella
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    On my 120 (not sure of letters) saildrive the filler cap hole is the dipstick hole & the oil is 15W 40, although Volvo recommend automatic transmission fluid.So not particularly thick. No way to use a Pella
    Originally ATF was specified but that was changed in a service bulletin issued IIRC in 2010 to engine oil

I found a link to the service bulletin a few days ago. Cant find it again of course

The exception is the 120S-E ( fitted to some more powerful engines ) which uses a gear oil
    Last edited by VicS; 11-11-19 at 21:13.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast