Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Saildrive plug

Default Re: Saildrive plug

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    but as I said way back you can get around this by removing the bearing housing , not own will you then be able to remover every little drop but at the same time check on the shaft, as at time these can get scored and it may only be a matter of time before water start to enter the sail drive .

Apart from the fact you would get smothered in oil as you release the shaft
    Surely the sensible time to replace the shaft seals is when one does the saildrive hull seal every 7 years (unless there is sign of water in between) That way it can be on a bench in nice clean conditions. But of course that suggestion will immediately start the " I have never changed my hull seal in 25 years" brigade off
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Apart from the fact you would get smothered in oil as you release the shaft
    Surely the sensible time to replace the shaft seals is when one does the saildrive hull seal every 7 years (unless there is sign of water in between) That way it can be on a bench in nice clean conditions. But of course that suggestion will immediately start the " I have never changed my hull seal in 25 years" brigade off
    The bearing housing seals are normally replaces as and when there is a In take of water , I have known people to have to replace then every other year in some cases, because as I said the prop shaft can end up getting scored and if it not fixed or replace then just putting new seal in won't do the job in some cases.
    Has for getting full of oil as you remove the housing bearing , I can only think you have never done one to suggest that .

In any case My suggestion was only made for them who are having problems removing the saildrive oil plug,
    of-cause you don't have to have a degree in engineering to know if plug comes out without any problem then that's the best way forward .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Has for getting full of oil as you remove the housing bearing , I can only think you have never done one to suggest that .

In any case My suggestion was only made for them who are having problems removing the saildrive oil plug,
    of-cause you don't have to have a degree in engineering to know if plug comes out without any problem then that's the best way forward .
    So help me out here-- What happens to the oil if you take the bearing & seals out without having first drained the oil by removing the plug?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I found the following discussing the same topic: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-202324-2.html - they talk about fabricating a tool from a cold chisel, which seems like a good idea (and fun in the garage!).

Is anyone near their boat that can get the exact dimensions for the slot so I can make it an exact fit? Mirage is currently 130 miles away...

The plugs part number is 804262 - I can find no schematics for it.

So help me out here-- What happens to the oil if you take the bearing & seals out without having first drained the oil by removing the plug?
    As I suggested in post #3 (a very long time ago ), if you intend to change the oil and/or the shaft seals, it's much easier to just remove the shaft.

The oil runs out as fast or slow as you like when you withdraw the bearing housing so you just collect it in a funnel/tray/bucket as you would if you removed the plug. If it's running out to fast, just push the housing back in a bit.

Forget the saildrive gaiter/diaphram as that's a completely different job and a lot more complicated. The recommended seal replacement interval for the most common Yanmar saildrive is just 2 years.

Having said that, I only replace my shaft seals when there is water ingress which is every 4 or 5 years.

Richard

In response to the original question I had the exact same issue. The way forward is to use an impact screwdriver with the biggest flathead and then just gently tap. Worked a treat for me.

How would you like me to help you out ?
    I would had thought an engineer as your self can work that one out .
    I don't wish to get into one of them back and fro arguments with you as others have .
    But just for your sake .
    I just cut and hang 20 lts water contain close under the leg and slowly remove the housing , if you really want you could have it up pass the shaft as there room to work in side one the bolts are removed.

Does it throw oil all over me and onto the ground ? .
    I think not it just sent a steady stream of oil into the container.
    If your stupid enough to leave the container on the floor , it may shot oil every where .

I do have trouble understanding why won't you except there are other ways of doing a job other then your way , without being rude you seen to want to disagree with others here and not just in this thread,

If you kindly read post #7 you see my suggestion of remover the oil plug , since then
    You suggestion the same in post #12 and then the same method suggested three or for four times, I think tho OP get the idea.

Theses plug can get stuck for all sorts of reasons , so it's not that straight forward.
    Rather then hitting it with impact or tapping it with a punch which may end up breaking some thing , if it won't undo with a bit of pressure on a good screw driver undoing the two Allen bolts and removing the bearing housing has to be a good way forward and as I said it gives the owner a chance to check out the condition of the shaft he will also spot any metal particles that may sat on the highter part of the casing.
    Hope this help you out as I just got no other way of explaining it .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 18-11-19 at 17:22.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456