Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Refitting the prop - dumb question

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post

...and Norris deserve a boot wedged up their stern tube for selling a two quid item for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    ...and Norris deserve a boot wedged up their stern tube for selling a two quid item for that price.
    I was looking for one a few months ago and saw that, my thoughts were along that line! I bought a Vetus one for about a fiver and thought that was too dear!

Nope, won't be buying it from Norris. Even think Vetus are taking the piss at a fiver, but maybe I'm forgetting the It's Marine Quality, Sir surcharge
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

You appear to have a problem if the prop came off the taper easily and is only being stopped from rotating by the key. Take the key out and lap the prop to the taper using fine valve grinding paste. Then clean it thoroughly with white spirit and try it on the shaft again. It should "wring" up tight by hand on the taper. Then replace the key making sure it is not holding the prop off the taper. If the split pin hole does not line up and its through drilled rather than castellated then the easiest solution is to get a thicker washer and reduce its thickness until tight. Conversely reduce the nut as others have suggested. A belt sander will do a good job of this if you have the skill to use it.

I agree with boatmike. I find the best way to get the pin through the hole is file the top of the nut down, leave the mating surface alone, that way you do not need to worry too much about squareness of the filing. Try using various thicknesses of washer and get the best combination so you only need to take the minimum off the top of the nut.
    David MH

Quote Originally Posted by davidmh View Post
    I agree with boatmike. I find the best way to get the pin through the hole is file the top of the nut down, leave the mating surface alone, that way you do not need to worry too much about squareness of the filing. Try using various thicknesses of washer and get the best combination so you only need to take the minimum off the top of the nut.
    David MH
    I don't understand.

How does filing anything off the none friction side of the nut help the nut turn a little bit further?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I don't understand.

How does filing anything off the none friction side of the nut help the nut turn a little bit further?

Richard
    Also confused me. I can only guess he thinks the split pin is going behind a plain nut, rather than through the slot in a castellated nut.

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    Also confused me. I can only guess he thinks the split pin is going behind a plain nut, rather than through the slot in a castellated nut.
    I don't think it's even a castellated nut as that could be tightened at bit more. I think it's just a nut with a hole drilled across it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Gosh!
    Yes - I can remember doing that as an exercise when I started my apprenticeship - what a useless exercise, filing a 4" long hexagon bar into a rectangle...

I recall a friend grumbling about an exercise like that as an apprentice at Rolls Royce. I don't know if he ever used that skill, but it didn't seem to do him any harm, as he was seconded to Lockheed in the USA for a joint project and ended up working for them for the last half of his career.

As for filing the back of the nut, I think those suggesting it are thinking of an arrangement like this

lcnut4.gif

Mine is a nut about 35mm long, drilled through each flat about 10mm from one end. I couldn't find a pic.

The prop isn't binding on the key, it's firmly on the taper, so I don't think there's any problem there, it's just that the hole in the shaft lines up roughly with a corner of the nut when everything is tight. From the comments, I can see three possibilities, listed in order of preference: a thinner SS washer, with or without the existing one, a plastic washer that will squish up to align the holes, between the existing washer and the prop, or some delicate work with a belt sander on the nut.

Drilling the shaft isn't a serious option as getting it out is an engine out job, and trying to drill it in place, lying on my back under the boat feels like a recipe for a drill bit broken off inside the hole and jamming everything.

Thanks all!
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast