Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Refitting the prop - dumb question

Thin wave washers make good shims.
    If the nut is reversible, you could drill the other end to give alternative hole options?

If you can work out what shim you need, one of the many spring or lock washer flavours might do it?

The traditional method of course is to try drilling a new hole through the shaft, break the drill and tell yourself 'that won't move!'.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

To find out the thickness of a washer you can measure the thread pitch and measure the angle between the nut hole and the shaft hole when he nut i tight.

Then packing washer thickness = thread pitch * hole angles difference / 360.

Then you can search for a washer that thickness.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

OP hasn't yet confirmed that it is not being prevented from tightening on the taper by the key.
    Put the prop on the shaft with the key in place. Shine a torch from the back of the prop, and see if you can see light between the key and the prop.
    If not the key needs filing down

I reckon he's just a pussy and needs to tighten it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by KREW2 View Post
    OP hasn't yet confirmed that it is not being prevented from tightening on the taper by the key.
    Put the prop on the shaft with the key in place. Shine a torch from the back of the prop, and see if you can see light between the key and the prop.
    If not the key needs filing down
    See post #30.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    I reckon he's just a pussy and needs to tighten it properly.
    I'll plead guilty to pussy - I don't have a lot of strength since sepsis and open heart surgery a couple of years ago, but I've got the nut as tight as I can get it using a 10" wrench and it needs to go another 1/12 of a turn, something over 0.1mm of thread pitch.

I've either got to expand the bronze prop on the taper, compress the SS taper or stretch a roughly 15mm diameter SS rod by maybe 1% over the length available to stretch; in practice, I'd expect a bit of all three. I'm no engineer, so the calculations are beyond me - what sort of torque are we looking at to do that?
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I'll plead guilty to pussy - I don't have a lot of strength since sepsis and open heart surgery a couple of years ago, but I've got the nut as tight as I can get it using a 10" wrench and it needs to go another 1/12 of a turn, something over 0.1mm of thread pitch.

I've either got to expand the bronze prop on the taper, compress the SS taper or stretch a roughly 15mm diameter SS rod by maybe 1% over the length available to stretch; in practice, I'd expect a bit of all three. I'm no engineer, so the calculations are beyond me - what sort of torque are we looking at to do that?
    If you have a torque wrench I would certainly try it and see what torque you are up to at the moment. I wouldn't go beyond 100 Nm but an M15 SS thread and nut would be fine even beyond that. However, I would use a shim/washer if I had to go beyond 100 Nm but that's just my personal preference.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    Yes - I can remember doing that as an exercise when I started my apprenticeship - what a useless exercise, filing a 4" long hexagon bar into a rectangle...
    Even more Gosh! when you realise that at the time the poster of this advice was advocating it when in reality the prop could have been riding on the key!
    Last edited by Heckler; 15-11-19 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Even more Gosh! when you realise that the poster of this advice was advocating it when in reality the prop could have been riding on the key!
    I like your new avatar but I never realised Boris was quite so tall.

Wikepedia must be wrong because it has him as only 5'9".
    Last edited by Poignard; 15-11-19 at 10:32.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post

If you put some grease on the thread and nut /prop face you will be able to tighten the nut a little more without extra torque.

Just remember some of the tightening torque will be taken up by the friction in the thread and nut/prop faces.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234