Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beneteau Oceanis 323 - What Tender & Engine

Hi, I am new to this Forum

I have just purchased a 2006 Beneteau Oceanis 323 which is berthed in Croatia (Near Split) and plan to keep her in this area. The yacht is berthed in a marina but I need to purchase a tender and outboard to allow trips ashore when on anchor etc. Can anyone recommend a cost effective combination. Tender needs to be small enough to store in the fore deck of the 323 at times ( I am not sure what the available length is on a 323 (advise ?). I would also appreciate recommendations on suppliers in the Split area.

Thks

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Default Re: Beneteau Oceanis 323 - What Tender & Engine

How many people do you want in the tender together?
    Are you planning on lifting it in and out every time it's used or tow it?
    Will you be leaving it out in the sun all summer or do you plan to fold it up and put it in a bag?
    Will you have some means of hoisting the tender or the engine from deck into the water?
    Do you want to keep it on deck inflated or will it be deflated every time it's finished with?
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post

AngusMcDoon, thanks for the questions, answers as follows

How many people do you want in the tender together? Typically 3, max 4 for short transfers when calm and warm
    Are you planning on lifting it in and out every time it's used or tow it? Will be towed when in transit, on the foredeck for entry to marinas etc
    Will you be leaving it out in the sun all summer or do you plan to fold it up and put it in a bag? Will be in the sun when the yacht is being used. folded up when the yacht is left
    Will you have some means of hoisting the tender or the engine from deck into the water? No, just muscle
    Do you want to keep it on deck inflated or will it be deflated every time it's finished with?
    Keep on the deck inflated

Thks
    GUfton

I've got a 2,7m airdeck (Inflatable V-Hull) from Wetline with a Mercury 6hp 4-stroke and I am also in Croatia - Boat is a Bav36 so a bit longer than a 323, so can't help with sizing, but here's my experience.

Maximum it will carry is 6 adults on a calm day on 1/4 throttle (any faster or any waves and it ships water and soaks everyone).

I don't like carrying it inflated on the foredeck even though it fits well without blocking access to the anchor locker - basically because it blocks the hatch, preventing it being used for escape, and makes the interior dark. Looks like the 323 has 2 hatches forward of the mast so this may be a factor for you too. If the dinghy is too long, it will obviously block access to the anchor locker.

The dinghy on deck also hinders ventilation, and good ventilation is essential in the height of a Croatian summer. I also find that the genny sheets wrap themselves round the rear of the tubes requiring someone to go to the mast to free them.

On a positive note, I can lift it on and off the foredeck using the spinnaker halyard .... it's easy to do and sometimes I will ship it on the foredeck in marinas/ports and leave it dangling on the spinnaker halyard like a half-open car bonnet - so we can still get ventilation through the hatch. Obviously this isn't an option underway.

Basically, I tow it everywhere, but not from the deck cleats as this lifts the bow and makes it more likely to misbehave in strong winds. I tow it from a point about a foot above the waterline using a short line on the side opposite to the exhaust (so it doesn't get burnt or covered in s**t when reversing). The load is spread evenly over the 3 dinghy towing eyes in a sort of bridle arrangement. A short line keeps it well under control, and it doesn't matter if it bumps the boat as it's basically a big fender - not like a rigid tender that has a bit of momentum and is better on a longer line.

It has never come close to flying or flipping, despite being towed regularly in F6 and occasionally in F7 gusting F8 - but leave the self-bailer open.

I never tow it with the outboard on unless it is absolutely flat calm and likely to stay that way.

I bought it so I could anchor out and comfortably travel a reasonable distance in the dinghy. Having one that will plane 2-up makes a big difference. It's turned out to be a good move ... I regulary travel a couple of kms in the dinghy to go shopping, visit the next bay or anchor well out in crowded anchorages - I try and avoid the masses of charter-boats, all anchored on top of each other in the height of summer - having a fast tender and a lot of chain makes this possible.

The 4-stroke engine is however heavy and a pain to lift on and off the boat - starting to think about getting a hoist for the pushpit .... most 4-strokes (4-6 hp) weigh around 25kg empty.

Finally, the shoreline in Croatia has razor sharp rocks, so get one with a tough bottom. Mine has finally succumbed after 8 years and the floor is no longer waterproof - the edge where the transom joins the floor is particularly vulnerable.

I intend to buy a lightweight aluminium rib next season.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Hi Baggywrinkle

Thanks for the post and your experiences, useful. I agree with all your points.

Can you recommend a chandler in Croatia (Split area ideally) who might supply dinghy and outboard ?

Thanks

I've found the prices in Croatia to be pretty high for both dinghies and outboards ... but I'm up North in Pula and I think there is probably more available in Split.

This place in Split has a Mercury 6hp for example ... (never used them though)

http://www.boltano.hr/proizvod.aspx?...0-%20%20%206-M

... around £963 dependent on exchange rate which is OK but not a massive bargain. Perhaps you could negotiate a discount in the store if bought with a dinghy?

In the UK a 6hp short shaft Mercury is £894 here......

https://www.ribs.co.uk/outboard-moto...rcury-mariner/

Similar for dinghies - I bought mine from the UK, shipped to Germany.

Last summer was hunting round Croatia for a RIB but came up empty.

If I were you I'd look for an online supplier who will do european delivery direct to the marina or just buy in Split and avoid the hassle.

PS. Boltano are here ..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...1!4d16.4282727

Then there's this place too ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/MA...2!4d16.4846327
    Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 11-11-19 at 16:38.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

For short journeys I tow on a short line as described above (with backup line too). For long journeys I carry horizontally across the stern - sits on the swim platform with a few lines to the stern rail.

Boat is Beneateu 343 and dinghy a Quicksilver 2.7m airdeck. Outboard is 3.5 4-stroke. Planes with 1 person and no cargo. Plenty of room for 2 and 5 at a squeeze.

Dingy was a second hand one and shipped UK to Greece for £70 (30kg limit for some carriers). Outboard was bought new through UK and delivered for £30.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Why do you need to keep the dinghy inflated? My airdeck Zodiac takes about 10 minutes to hand pump up, slightly less to deflate. Alternatively get a high speed inflator.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by GUfton View Post
    Keep on the deck inflated

Thks
    GUfton
    You could do this but if your wife is as short as mine, she won't be able to see past the inflatable. The 323's foredeck is obstructed by the babystay.

I rode short distances with 3 of us in two different 2.4m inflatables a couple of times last year, and found them cramped and uncomfortable. The third person has to climb in and position themselves quite carefully, and then there's no room to move once underway. I wouldn't have liked to make those trips in rough conditions.

These were tenders to 38' AWBs - one was carried on the foredeck, the other deflated when not in use.

I have a 2.85m Honwave airdeck that I like quite a lot (cheers scrambledegg!) - generally it feels a lot more spacious than those 2.4 ones, but so far the largest load I've carried with it was two people, shopping and luggage.

I agree with the other comment that it doesn't take long to blow up an inflatable - the hard part is stowing a folded one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast