Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I have an electrical problem.

Evening all once again many thanks for your input.It is very much appreciated. I got the best of the day (weather wise) and fitted the charged battery and hallelujah the engine started first time .Unfortunately I hadn't read all the current suggestions until I got home so will try taking some readings tomorrow. I ran the engine in gear at about 1500 rpm for 20 mins and the battery was reading 13.4v as I was leaving so will compare tomorrow. I did find one other interesting on/off switch connected to the vsr and was wondering if this was to isolate the relay.Just a thought.The boat is a one off and was built in Lymington in 2003 in Steve Etheridge,s yard.I believe it is now closed so would be unable to get the original wiring plan which unfortunate. Anyway if the weather improves tomorrow I will check out your suggestions and see where we go from there.
    As a ps to Spirit of Glenans I assume (rightly/wrongly) that relates to Glenans sailing club.If it does I can say that it was a fantastic organisation which gave me and many others fantastic sailing and memories

Wondring if you have any equipment connected directly to th e battery bank, before the isolation switches that could be draining you battery. Diesel heaters and bilge pumps normally by pass the isolation switches and will draw power if they operate.

You could try,
    Turn off the Battery isolation switches.
    Remove the + Ve terminal from the domestic battery bank.
    Put a Ammeter (MultiMeter.) between the + Ve Terminal on the battery bank and the +ve Supply lead you just lifted off the battery lug.
    See if any current is flowing -there shouldn't be.
    If there is current , check the battery isolation switches , they should be open with + VE Battery voltage visible across the terminals with a multimeter.
    If the isolation switches seem ok, Disconnect any units wired directly to the battery bank ,one at a time checking for current flow each time,
    These would be : Diesel heater, Bilge Pumps, Battery charger, any wind or solar controllers. You could have a diode gone in the output of the charger or solar chargers causing current to be drained rather than supplied,

Kinsale 373n

Evening all .After spending quite a bit of time on this problem I have decided (reluctantly)to throw in the towel and call in an expert.I, like the rest of you want to be sure the engine starts when its supposed to so hopefully the expert will find and fix the problem without asking for either my arm or leg in payment.I thank all who responded with useful ideas and I will pass on an update when I am sorted in case the information could be useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12