Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: River "closed" on 1st December

Quote Originally Posted by Outinthedinghy View Post
    So how does it work if you need to move a boat past the event at the time the River is "closed"?

Would the EA be entitled to prevent you navigating or do you have the PRN to fall back on?

I'm not particularly interested in being a nuisance, would be happy to wait, I just think it could become problematic if the ability to close the River temporarily was abused.
    Not really sure what the issue is, Highways Agency have been closing Henley road bridge all this week from 8pm until 6pm which is big deal if you want to get to other side every day, but we just have to grin and bare it.

In comparison there can't be many reasons why you would absolutely have to move a boat on any given day, its not going to be life and death surely.

If you absolutely insist and don't mind being a nuisense then I very much doubt the EA will even be there, it will just be volunteer safety boats and you can press on regardless Although if you cause an incident you aren't going to have leg to stand on in court.

As these events have been going on for years why would anybody abuse it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    Not really sure what the issue is, Highways Agency have been closing Henley road bridge all this week from 8pm until 6pm which is big deal if you want to get to other side every day, but we just have to grin and bare it.

In comparison there can't be many reasons why you would absolutely have to move a boat on any given day, its not going to be life and death surely.

If you absolutely insist and don't mind being a nuisense then I very much doubt the EA will even be there, it will just be volunteer safety boats and you can press on regardless Although if you cause an incident you aren't going to have leg to stand on in court.

As these events have been going on for years why would anybody abuse it?
    Can always contact them: http://thamesriverusersgroup.org/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Outinthedinghy View Post
    So how does it work if you need to move a boat past the event at the time the River is "closed"?

Would the EA be entitled to prevent you navigating or do you have the PRN to fall back on?

I'm not particularly interested in being a nuisance, would be happy to wait, I just think it could become problematic if the ability to close the River temporarily was abused.

Failure to comply with a harbourmaster notice or instructions from a patrol officer or river inspector would render you liable to prosecution and a possible fine. That said, the EA is reluctant to pursue licence evaders so my guess is that you'll be ok should you choose to ignore any warning.

Like many in the law enforcement world, the EA relies on compliance from the majority.
    Last edited by Old Crusty; 15-11-19 at 14:27.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12