Default Children in Need - Tangle of the Isles - laps round Mull

In case like me you just saw the reference to a “sailing rickshaw challenge” round the Isle of Mull on BBC Breakfast, this is a link I just used to make a donation to this fantastic cause ....... http://www.tangleotheisles.com/

They are aiming to do as many laps round the Isle of Mull as possible over a period of days. This is a much more serious challenge than a summer round the Isle of Wight loop. Each lap is 80 miles, with some very serious headlands and dangerous hidden Torran Rocks on the North and West coasts. They hope to do up to 10 laps. And at this time of year it will be dark for a lot of the time in these challenging waters. A proper challenge, in a 32 foot sailing yacht, worthy of Children in Need.
    However the skipper is a very experienced yacht racer and cruiser, who knows these waters well, so it will be a well prepared and considered voyage.

I have no connection, other than now added a donation. Feel free to do likewise and support the cause.

Default Re: Children in Need - Tangle of the Isles - laps round Mull

Possibly not the best start. They are holed up in Tobermory with WNW7, rain and chill. A bit of a respite later but blowing up again for late afternoon/evening down round Iona (tide thru' the Sound goes good ~1500). By Wednesday the wind has gone according to my strip of bladderwrack.
    Alan, they must have moved the Torran Rocks since I was last there They used to be at the bottom left hand corner!

sounds fun :-) it's all a bit tidal ;-)

Once round and still going - don't think they're dizzy yet or at least more dizzy than usual. My sympathies are with Christine

23.00ish approaching low water and the Sound of Iona in pitch black - a bit too sphincter clenching for me!

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    23.00ish approaching low water and the Sound of Iona in pitch black - a bit too sphincter clenching for me!
    A very shallow and exposed channel. Hope not got a deep keel! Not an easy project

Near full moon though. Magical spot. Not at all jealous ☺

Bump. A great way to donate to Children in Need