Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Navigators & General Insurance - check your policy for this clause

We used to insure with N&G for many years, then switched to GJW for a couple of years before switching back in 2017 to Nav&Gen. At that time, they had the following clause under 'assumptions'

The vessel has not been modified (examples include but are not limited to changes to the cabin or hull, changes to the rig or additions such as a stove, generator, mains power or include a different engine than supplied, extending the superstructure, a different rig or sails). The engine is within manufacturers specifications.

Given our Westerly is from 1984 and had been re-engined along with many other 'modifications' I thought this clause was ludicrous and insisted on it's removal as a condition of taking the policy. They agreed to this.

But this years renewal, the clause is back and they say the underwriters will not remove it this time. I spoke with them and they said that they would make a note on my file that as long as 'modifiactions' had been carried out professionally, then they would be OK. But as I pointed out, how on earth can you prove this unless you have a paper trail for every minor mod going back to 1984. The chap I spoke with was very understanding that this clause is a bit difficult to take and that they were going to look at reviewing the wording of their polices, but at this time, their hands were tied.

I have cancelled our upcoming renewal and now need to find an alternative insurer... any recommendations? We have never needed to make a claim.

Maybe I'm being over cautious, but the above clause does seem like an enormous 'get out' for the insurer. Have any of you got N&G insurance with this clause? If you don't like it, I suggest you challenge it as this may help N&G in their review of policy wording

Default Re: Navigators & General Insurance - check your policy for this clause

Talk to GJW again? I've found them to be quite accommodating and good VFM

Couple of points to ponder regarding boats over a certain age.

How will the insurance company know what the boat came with out of the factory?

How will the second, third or more owner know what bits of teh biat are original and what may have been modified?
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by colind3782 View Post
    Talk to GJW again? I've found them to be quite accommodating and good VFM
    I tried GJW this year but was put off by their insistence that the boat was ashore November to March, no leeway at all, I'm on a swinging mooring so maybe that was the issue so I continued with my existing insurer.

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    I tried GJW this year but was put off by their insistence that the boat was ashore November to March, no leeway at all, I'm on a swinging mooring so maybe that was the issue so I continued with my existing insurer.
    I certainly don't have that restriction but then we're marina based. Good luck.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

This question has been raised on the Westerly Owners Forum. Read the answer for clarity of its meaning.
    https://westerly-owners.co.uk/profile/?T3619/
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

As someone in Insurance for a chunk of my life, I think you are reading too much into this clause. What they are trying to exclude is a Westerly that is no longer a Westerly in very significant ways such as having a 110hp engine or with a hull that has been extended by 2 meters. I have no doubt they are not worried by updated or renewed items or indeed any additions that don't radically change the boat they thought they were insuring.

If I were you I'd write a letter listing the mods you know about and state that they constitute normal maintenance and upgrades as expected on a boat that age. Ask them to attach the statement to your file and then if they don't cancel your insurance, there is no argument for a refusal based on undisclosed modifications.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    If I were you I'd write a letter listing the mods you know about and state that they constitute normal maintenance and upgrades as expected on a boat that age. Ask them to attach the statement to your file and then if they don't cancel your insurance, there is no argument for a refusal based on undisclosed modifications.
    That's a good idea.

In the meantime, GJW came in at only £10 more than N&G and I can not find any clauses in GJW policy about modifications... so they do win there. However, as has been pointed out above, they seem awkward regarding when the vessel is in commission or ashore, asking for exact dates in advance! This was one of the reasons I left them last time as even a conversation on the phone failed to clarify if there was any reasonable leeway in these dates and if I would be covered if they were not exactly met.

Yes that clause is completely unacceptable. Not only is it impossible to document past changes but I work on my own boat whether it be re-riggning the mast or replacing the engine and I do it a great deal more carefully than any yard apprentice would.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast