Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RN ship visits

Default RN ship visits

Gone are Navy Days unfortunately.

I would like to encourage my grandson in his (declared) desire to join the Royal Navy.

Back in the old days, when I was a Sea Cadet officer and when I had contracts with various MOD departments and contacts with various RN officers, I managed to arrange visits occasionally. Memorable were to submarines (alongside) and even at sea during contractors proving trials on HMS Gloucester.

Those days are past.

Anyone know if it is still possible to make ship visits?

I know the Belfast and the Dolphin museum are a possibility but a serving vessel would be more appropriate.

I do have an ex SAS friend who could enlighten him about his opinions as a Marine.
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 11-11-19 at 14:21.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: RN ship visits

I have an old friend who as a Sea Cadet was flown to join HMS Belfast on her last passage back from Gibraltar. He went on to become a reactor officer on the first generation of nuclear submarines.

Such a thing would be unthinkable now.

An active duty Royal Navy warship laying on a show is far more impressive than any museum.

My two sons each joined the Sea Cadets at 11 and went through to 18. Since they are seven years apart that makes 16 years with a child in the Sea Cadets - in an active and well run unit. I recall one ship visit in that time.

I suppose there are simply not enough ships now.
    Last edited by Kukri; 11-11-19 at 14:31.

How about contacting the local Army, Navy and RAF recruitment office?

There is a chap at work applying to RFA, yes they do go through the same recruitment office, who said they are very helpful.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post

I would like to encourage my grandson in his (declared) desire to join the Royal Navy.

Back in the old days, when I was a Sea Cadet officer and when I had contracts with various MOD departments and contacts with various RN officers, I managed to arrange visits occasionally. Memorable were to submarines (alongside) and even at sea during contractors proving trials on HMS Gloucester.

Those days are past.

Anyone know if it is still possible to make ship visits?

I know the Belfast and the Dolphin museum are a possibility but a serving vessel would be more appropriate.

I do have an ex SAS friend who could enlighten him about his opinions as a Marine.
    I know that it its is pretty much impossible arrange any visit beyond the most trivial to an Army unit if the visitor is under 18 (excepting if visiting with and as part of an organisation such as cadets), mostly due to all the safeguarding legislation and regulations that are now in place. I'm afraid that I would assume that the same holds for the RN.
    Last edited by Blue Sunray; 11-11-19 at 18:52.

Presumably as a positive enlightenment as over 50% of SF are ex Marines (or they were a few years ago when I was serving)

I’ll ask an SBS officer who I’ll be seeing in a few weeks time what the latest stats are if you like.
    Semper aliud

Assuming the grandson is still a little boy, I would ask the local Sea Cadets. Perhaps he might want to join them as well!
    ( I've visited quite a few active warships but only on public open-days.)
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Anyone know if it is still possible to make ship visits?.
    I'll do a short answer to what could be a very long one!
    There are two issues these days:

1. The fleet is over stretched. Assets now spend very little time alongside. When they do the crews are frantically trying to get maintenance done/courses completed/leave and so forth. One ship may be designated as "duty visits ship" if it has time.

2. Ships in deep maintenance are not available for visits as H&S stuff now makes it difficult. Additionally a ship is often handed over to BAE/Babcock whilst alongside, and so the navy can't host a visit.

Your best bet is to find a crew member and get him/her to invite grandson on board as a private guest. Even this takes a heap of paperwork sometimes.

How old is said chap?

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Presumably as a positive enlightenment as over 50% of SF are ex Marines (or they were a few years ago when I was serving)

I’ll ask an SBS officer who I’ll be seeing in a few weeks time what the latest stats are if you like.
    The claimed figure (from last year's 'SQ brochure') is 60%. Though how this is relevant to the point in question apart from 'I know Fiji Bob' willy waving I'm not sure. Though, that said, when I was cadet we did a course at Poole two days of which was with and run by the (then) SB Sqn, how times change.
    Last edited by Blue Sunray; 11-11-19 at 18:50.

I remember navy days. One of which without Dad coming we got on the wrong train home and ended up God know where. It was in Britksh Rail days and the guard sorted it all out for us.

We have Fleet Week here but the ship visits are 'sold' out months in advance.

W.

Just a thought, though I'm not hopeful you'll get very far, but you might try asking the question on here: https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast