Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: More bug huggery

A quick skim through the document suggests to me that it enables councils' planning departments to use the habitat protection rationale to charge additional planning fees which are supposed to be reserved for suitable purposes. It'll be interesting to see whether that ends up with any detectable transparency!

Not sure it will result in any detectable protection of recreational amenity.

Quite: funding rather than protection. Hence my cautionary comment. The trouble is until everybody realises the major problem is the size of the world's population........
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgarside View Post
    A quick skim through the document suggests to me that it enables councils' planning departments to use the habitat protection rationale to charge additional planning fees which are supposed to be reserved for suitable purposes. It'll be interesting to see whether that ends up with any detectable transparency!

Well if the council does nothing we accuse them of criminal neglect of their duties concerning the environment. If they do something we accuse them of not being able to offer an ideal solution in dealing with a problem whose roots are the massive excess of humans on our poor globe, or we accuse them of money grabbing.

Its an impossible task. The environment would be better off if all except farmers, stayed in our cities rather than sprawling willy nilly across the land, but we all want more room
    A boat is for going places

Which puts a bird above a baby... A fish before your family.
    I think people are more important than animals.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    That is meaningless if it means that people of the future will be compelled to live in an urban environment with the very real benefits of country, maritime and wild- life only available as historical film or as virtual experience. There are any reasons why the countryside matters. It is interesting for its own sake as well as being good for mental health. It forms an interconnected whole and is part of our (fairly) healthy environment and helps to sustain it. A rich ecosystem is necessary for food production and to enable it to adapt to future changes, and it was the memory of the British rural scene that sustained most of our troops in the last war. Nobody is suggesting sacrificing babies in favour of godwits but we often choose to spend public money on things that don't appear to be of immediate benefit because things such as sport and the arts are also seen to be essential.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Bru said "Can you live with Hamford Water being turned into a leisure theme park?"

Interesting, because the man who runs the seals trips from the Town Creek at Walton has started a campaign to try and restrict access to some of the remote creeks of the Backwaters. Even the Titchmarsh office and the chandlery had petitions to sign in support of restricting access. I think he started this because to rival sea spotting boats started last year. Of course he thinks he should still be allowed access......

But on the other hand, the new housing behind Bedwells truly looks appalling, because it's so close to the yard. How soon before the new owners agitate to have the back yard at Bedwells tidied up? My skimming reading of this document is is a planning framework and so might help restrict the ugly overdevelopment which is happening all around Walton/Kirby and nearby currently.

And will the baby grow up in a world where there are natural wonders to see? Unspoilt places to explore? Will the baby experience the wonder of seeing seals basking on a sandback? Oyster Catchers wading on the margins of a salt marsh?

Will the family be able to escape the noise and bustle of the concrete jungle and go for walks in the unspoilt countryside? Visit heritage sites of historical interest? Sail the remaining unspoilt waters around our coast?

Will the food on the family's table be grown in fields on farms or will it be produced in a vat in a factory when all the land has been built on and all the birds and insects necessary for a balanced ecosystem have become extinct because their breeding grounds have been destroyed and their food sources wiped out? (If you think this is extreme, consider the very real and current problems with pollination of some crops due to the decline in the bee population)

Is your Utopian dream really to turn the world in which we live into a concrete jungle monoculture where only people matter and where, if you have the wealth of course, you can do whatever you please and to hell with the consequences? Because that is the logical and inescapable outcome of unrestricted development and exploitation of the land and natural resources

And I note you still haven't addressed the question of what it is about this specific document you dislike

Walks in unspoiled countryside...

Whare are you coming from? There is absolutely no unspoiled land in any part of the UK. Every acre of land on this island is managed and tended by humans. Even the parts that are described as wildlife sancutaries are subjected to intensive management my humans.

As happens we do quite a lot of walking .. (as long as there is a pub enroute). The odd thing is that we never see anyone. One would expect that lots of people would be taking the air and enjoying the open space if it is so important to the population at large... but no. It seems for all the hype about walks in countryside being soooooo terribly important, most people go to the park in town or the shopping centre.

Quote Originally Posted by rgarside View Post

This is not about protecting recreational amenity but about protecting birds and worms from humans who may be trying to enjoy a bit of recreational amenity. The assumption behind the document is that human recreation is harmful and must be restricted.

This is for the benefit of a small number of people who like looking at various birds or other animals.It's like Studland
    Bay where a self interest group is trying to prevent people from having access to the area so they can have the place to themselves.

Walks in unspoiled countryside...

Whare are you coming from? There is absolutely no unspoiled land in any part of the UK. Every acre of land on this island is managed and tended by humans. Even the parts that are described as wildlife sancutaries are subjected to intensive management my humans.

As happens we do quite a lot of walking .. (as long as there is a pub enroute). The odd thing is that we never see anyone. One would expect that lots of people would be taking the air and enjoying the open space if it is so important to the population at large... but no. It seems for all the hype about walks in countryside being soooooo terribly important, most people go to the park in town or the shopping centre.
    Unspoilt as in the sense of unspoilt, not unmanaged wilderness

You're obviously walking in the wrong places if you never see anyone

And what of it anyway? You're still not addressing the points I've made which have nothing to do with whether people USE the countryside etc. or not (but of course they do) and everything to do with the importance of the countryside etc. to our overall wealth, health and happiness

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast