Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: More bug huggery

The green lobby are like an glacier. They never give up demanding more and more space for themselves.
    A cursory glance at google maps Nd local plans shows they have succeeded in designating almost the entire coast as their domain for preservation of their hobby.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    The green lobby are like an glacier. They never give up demanding more and more space for themselves.
    A cursory glance at google maps Nd local plans shows they have succeeded in designating almost the entire coast as their domain for preservation of their hobby.
    And I'll ask you again ...

Do YOU want the coastal areas we enjoy subject to unrestricted development and exploitation?

Do YOU want wildlife such as seals, wading birds etc. etc. to be driven away from the Thames Estuary, perhaps driven to the point of extinction?

Do YOU want virtually continuous marina, holiday park and / or housing development along the banks of the Orwell and / or Crouch?

You keep ducking this question and simply repeating rants about one single unnamed interest group (presumably the RSPB?) when the reality is that these controls have come about at the behest of multiple interest groups one set of which is those such as the RYA and local groups who represent OUR hobby

Nor have you addressed the point raised by several posters, myself included, that in fact the document you referenced at the start of this thread makes no (direct) mention of restrictions and controls on OUR hobby, it addresses the matter of mitigating the effects of development in the areas surrounding protected sites

Without controls we will end up, in time, seeing the very things we as sailors enjoy - unspoilt stretches of coastline, quiet anchorages, the wildlife etc. - eroded and eventually disappearing

Stop ranting and start thinking!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I visited the Hamble recently and I absolutely don’t want the Orwell to turn into that.

Still less the Backwaters.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

It’s awful isn’t it???

Why just yesterday I was commenting on how the a14 is being turned back into natural woodland....

Now it's only fields and trees.

Where, where is the town? Now, it's nothing but flowers!

The highways and cars Were sacrificed for agriculture.

I thought that we'd start over, But I guess I was wrong!
    Once there were parking lots...Now it's a peaceful oasis!

This was a Pizza Hut, Now it's all covered with daisies!

I miss the car dealers, Burger kings, and pizza expresses..

You know, as things fell apart, Nobody paid much attention.

I dream of cherry pies, Candy bars, and chocolate chip cookies.

We used to microwave, Now we just eat nuts and berries.

This was a discount store, Now it's turned into a cornfield.

Don't leave me stranded here, I can't get used to this lifestyle.

Bru,
    Would I like for people to have the opportunity of living somewhere pleasant instead of a dreary housing estate that could be anywhere? Yes.
    For the many not just the rich few to look over the the vistas of the coast and see the morning sun rise over the horizon... yes

Do I think that whole swathes of land being made into a theme park for a rich minority is good use of land? no ... Where would you rather live? A small terraced house in a shabby industrial town in the middle of the country or somewhere with space and light where you can actually see further than the other side of the street? For someone from a left wing background, I am confused you want to preserve absolute priveledge for the rich minority.

? For someone from a left wing background, I am confused you want to preserve absolute priveledge for the rich minority.
    Still not answering the question ...

Do YOU want the coastal environment we all enjoy as part of OUR pastime to be the subject of unrestricted development?

As for your last sentence, it is nonsense

Environmental protection does not reserve anything for anybody it PRESERVES the best and important areas of the environment for EVERYBODY

Protect the environment for everyone... The ususal argument trotted out... selling a dream when the reality is a nightmare.

How does a kid living in a block of flats in Clapton N Hackney get to benefit from the so called natural environment?

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Protect the environment for everyone... The ususal argument trotted out... selling a dream when the reality is a nightmare.

How does a kid living in a block of flats in Clapton N Hackney get to benefit from the so called natural environment?
    Bees. Clean air. A future that isn’t a desolate wasted barren planet devoid of life.

Which is what’s gonna happen if you get your way apparently.

Parks, open spaces (Greater London has more of both than any other city apparently), holidays at the seaside etc. etc.

And that's just the direct benefits

Any chance of you addressing the questions you've been asked by the way hmm?

Coastal property is always going to sell at a premium. There are only two ways round this. Firstly, to nationalise property and distribute it 'fairly', which would of course mean following Mugabe's example. Secondly, there is Tomahawk's method, which is simply to allow desirable places to be despoiled so that they lost their attraction, and the undeserving rich would have to put up with it or go abroad.

I see a lot of people out on the water and enjoying the coast from the land. The percentage that is wealthy is minuscule. If the poorest people from cities were to be relocated to the coast, they would find no work available for them.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast