Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 143
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    10,428

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    I’m trying to puzzle out how the buoy mooring chain got tangled with the rudder. If indeed that is what happened and not journalist’s speculation. Anyway, rotten thing to happen and there but for the grace of, etc.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    I'm going to go with it being Sunsail 4017.

    DB6ECEB6-C718-4C4C-9937-CD228B659F22.jpg
    Last edited by XDC; 11-11-19 at 18:54.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by XDC View Post
    I'm going to go with it being Sunsail 4017.

    DB6ECEB6-C718-4C4C-9937-CD228B659F22.jpg
    No further explanation needed then.!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Barbados (East coast)
    Posts
    4,675

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Really bad luck; but goodness me, the journalism!

    "The three passengers have been rescued and safely brought ashore but rescue workers fear the boat may be unnavigable."
    And this was apparently the observation made by George, the Cowes RNLI Press Officer.
    Although the first two comments start with inverted commas, but don't have them at the end.
    The third comment (mentioning 'unnavigable') does have inverted commas at both ends.

    I am also a bit baffled by the apparent coincidence re losing the rudder at the same time as clobbering the buoy.
    With all the assistance that showed up, did they manage to keep the yacht afloat long enough to get her to a suitable haul out facility?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    10,428

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    And this was apparently the observation made by George, the Cowes RNLI Press Officer.
    Although the first two comments start with inverted commas, but don't have them at the end.
    The third comment (mentioning 'unnavigable') does have inverted commas at both ends.

    I am also a bit baffled by the apparent coincidence re losing the rudder at the same time as clobbering the buoy.
    With all the assistance that showed up, did they manage to keep the yacht afloat long enough to get her to a suitable haul out facility?
    No: she sank.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    35,711

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I’m trying to puzzle out how the buoy mooring chain got tangled with the rudder. If indeed that is what happened and not journalist’s speculation.
    Once the boat’s cuddling up to the thing, especially being pushed against it by a strong tide, it doesn’t seem at all far-fetched for the chain to get forced under the hull. If it happens to pass aft of the keel, because of where the buoy’s lying against the topsides and which way the boat’s pointing relative to the tide, it’s pretty much guaranteed to then snag the rudder as the boat slips off the buoy.

    Not saying that’s what definitely happened, but the mechanism seems perfectly plausible to me.

    Pete

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home: North West, Boat: The Clyde
    Posts
    3,764

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    No further explanation needed then.!
    Why’s that then? Please explain?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Posts
    43,802

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Why’s that then? Please explain?
    Solent yachtsmen don't have much admiration or respect for Sunsail.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Solent yachtsmen don't have much admiration or respect for Sunsail.
    A lot of sailors don't have much admiration or respect for Solent yachtsmen, doesn't make it correct though.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home: North West, Boat: The Clyde
    Posts
    3,764

    Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

    So has the politics of envy found its way on to the water?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to