Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I think engineering a boat to be immune to all collisions will get you a very heavy and uninspiring boat. So where do you draw the line?
    Half way between the two.
    IMO modern technology allows manufacturers to push the design to just before the 'not strong enough' limit. People accept this trade off for a fast racing boat but for the production cruising boat this limit is pushed as a cost saving policy, hence the spate of keels falling off.

PS I will admit to clouting an unlit buoy at night and came away with just the scars. I think I got away with it because the layup was done in the early era of GRP boats.
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 12-11-19 at 14:26.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

While this incident seems remarkable in broad daylight with three crew, I admit I once clonked into a buoy - very gently, fortunately - despite my Dad taking the pee out of me always asking crew ' keep a lookout under the jib !' Forever after that I never set the genoa in Chichester Harbour, and my favourite headsail is a high clewed blade which gives great ' slot ' efficiency and good visibility.

They didn't call the J Class sails ' Solent Jibs ' for nothing, but in those days it was mainly to stop the short steep Solent Chop breaking into the headsail; those who sneer at ' Solent Sailors ' need to try their luck between the forts or at Chichester entrance above F5-6
    Last edited by Seajet; 12-11-19 at 14:32.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    IMO modern technology allows manufacturers to push the design to just before the 'not strong enough' limit. People accept this trade off for a fast racing boat but for the production cruising boat this limit is pushed as a cost saving policy, hence the spate of keels falling off.

PS I will admit to clouting an unlit buoy at night and came away with just the scars. I think I got away with it because the layup was done in the early era of GRP boats.
    I think the type of hit is important too. Don't forget that this is one of the sunsail fleet that races with inexperienced crew onboard for way more days a year than your average private race boat.
    That fleet will, because of the above, have hit between them an awful lot of buoys in the solent. And yet, this is the 1st one to sink.
    I hit a buoy when racing this year. The first for many years, no damage beyond an unsightly mark that I had to buff out, and that boat is a lot lighter than the F40s. But then I didn't clatter into it, it was by way of a glancing blow...

Many, many years ago, I was on board a real AWB, a legend, when the helm drove it absolutely squarely into a channel marker. Couple of gelcoat chips in the bow, certainly no hole...

That is the buoy in question... I don't think all that many boats would come away unscathed if they happened to hit one of those hoops under their forefoot. Especially if they just happened to be coming off a bit of solent chop in a nice wind over tide situation in 20+kts of wind.... Going over 7 knots with 3 knots of tide under you...
    Would your boat survive that without a hole?
    You never know, I might be right!

I quite often sail with very inexperienced guests and I notice that, when helming, they have little awareness of the boat's track over the ground and assume that the boat will go where it is pointing. I recently had one that had us very close to ramming a Solent fort in a strong ebb tide. I left it as long as I dared to find out when the helm would realise the danger. It wasn't before I felt I had to intervene. This is all understandable, as we're not accustomed to modes of transport that crab along.
    It's all too easy to hit a buoy.

I'm not too convinced ' most times we hit a buoy there's not much damage ' is the right way to go

When I worked aboard a hotel barge ( which steered like a tesco trolley on ice, 33 turns lock to lock on the wheel ) in Burgundy I learned one of the guests had been helmsman on a cruiser at Iwo Jima - I thought ' respect ! ' and gave the helm over - we were on quite a fast flowing river upstream of a bridge with big pillars, he got us sideways on - " let me just straighten her up for you Sir ! " - lots of frantic twiddling with the wheel
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I'm wondering if the boat rode up the buoy at speed and punctured the hull below the waterline. If the buoy was glanced whilst sailing at heel then the hole would be well above the waterline.

Spate!!!
    What? you mean like £8m oysters
    However, I do know of some Centaurs with very wobbly bilge keels.( not that they have actually dropped off) Will that count?
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 12-11-19 at 15:55.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post

That is the buoy in question... I don't think all that many boats would come away unscathed if they happened to hit one of those hoops under their forefoot. Especially if they just happened to be coming off a bit of solent chop in a nice wind over tide situation in 20+kts of wind.... Going over 7 knots with 3 knots of tide under you...
    Would your boat survive that without a hole?
    I know I shouldn’t do this, but... cue Suffolk accent..Dew yew call that little owd thing a buoy bor? That ain’t no bouy; this is a buoy... ,

Last edited by Kukri; 12-11-19 at 16:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I know I should not do this, but... cue Suffolk accent..Dew yew call that little owd thing a buoybor? That ain’t no bout; thisis a buoy. ,

Someone more informed will come along any minute

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Plenty of MAB’s have sunk after hitting something. Boats sinking isn’t really a new thing.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast