Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Exciting times off Cowes today

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I know I shouldn’t do this, but... cue Suffolk accent..Dew yew call that little owd thing a buoy bor? That ain’t no bouy; this is a buoy... ,

I knew there was a good reason I no longer sail in suffolk, but drive the 3 hours to the Solent to sail there instead...
    You never know, I might be right!

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I know I shouldn’t do this, but... cue Suffolk accent..Dew yew call that little owd thing a buoy bor? That ain’t no bouy; this is a buoy... ,

Did a quick bumpy spin out to landguard a few weeks back... damn near ended up on top of it as I was gibing around the outside...

Surprising how fast the buggers end up under your nose...

Surprising how fast the buggers end up under your nose...

And that, I suspect, is the root cause of this accident. I've never hit one, touch wood, but I've come close a few times - the buggers do sneak up on you, especially when you get a gust and the boat rounds up in spite of your best efforts. Add a helm who's unfamiliar with both boat and local conditions and it's a recipe for trouble.

Also wondering if "hole near the bow" is an assumption because she went down by the bow. It isn't hard to imagine a solid hit on the keel causing a major leak, especially after a few unreported groundings, then the buoy's chain carrying on to take the rudder out. It must have been quite an impact to remove the rudder completely, though.

The important thing is that we're the ones holding post mortems on the incident, not the Coroner.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post

That is the buoy in question... I don't think all that many boats would come away unscathed if they happened to hit one of those hoops under their forefoot. Especially if they just happened to be coming off a bit of solent chop in a nice wind over tide situation in 20+kts of wind.... Going over 7 knots with 3 knots of tide under you...
    Would your boat survive that without a hole?
    I would hope and expect that it would. A friend of mine sailing here in the Bristol channel ( conditions a bit more serious than the Solent ) made a habit of hitting the channel markers we sail around. Must have done it half a dozen times both in his own boat and in others, and the only time he did any serious damage was when reverse failed, he hit the lock gates and the mast came down. But they were older British boats built rather more strong than the modern BenJenBAv AWB.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    [I]
    The important thing is that we're the ones holding post mortems on the incident, not the Coroner.
    + 100
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    Also wondering if "hole near the bow" is an assumption because she went down by the bow.
    Can't reveal my source, but no, it's not an assumption.
    You never know, I might be right!

I nearly hit the (larger, steel) Wells next the Sea WCM a couple of weeks ago. My (large bearded man) crew screamed out loud but it glided past a foot away, plunging in the swells.
    It was dark, raining and gusty, the overfalls were flinging us about as we waited (what seemed a very long time..) for the HM's workboat come out to tow us in. We were following instructions maintaining station under sail, by the WCM, my engine U/S due to diesel bug. I had tried to loiter there once already, and bunked out to sea again to avoid being wrecked, but this time the workboat swore he was coming, now.
    The tide was fairly hurling us to the East, 1 hr before HW.
    My one crew was inexperienced and I had spent all day bleeding the fuel system and changing filters to no avail, and I had to leave him to go below and get a long, thick tow line ready for the workboat, which took a few minutes..
    We did only 'nearly' hit the buoy though, and got in to harbour safely.

I haven't read all the posts and I hope nobody is blaming the skipper, as circumstances conspire..
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 12-11-19 at 17:21.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

" hence the spate of keels falling off. "
    And the last one was when?

The Portsmouth Times report has it that the crew were three Swiss men. IIRC, the recent MAIB report on the charter boat keel loss said that their crew were Swiss as well. Maybe anyone chartering their boat out to a Swiss bunch should think again?

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    The Portsmouth Times report has it that the crew were three Swiss men. IIRC, the recent MAIB report on the charter boat keel loss said that their crew were Swiss as well. Maybe anyone chartering their boat out to a Swiss bunch should think again?
    Swiss Navy team building cruise

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast