Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water tank not filling

When we try and fill our water tanks the water just comes out the overflow. Is there usually a valve of some kind between the filler point and the water tank itself? This is in our Trader47

Default Re: Water tank not filling

No Not usually. Are you sure the tank is not full but the water has been turned off from the tank to the pump.

We've been using water from the tank for a week, finally ran out though according to the water gauge in the galley. But when refilling water runs out the overflow and not into the tank. There is a bit of a kink in the pipe to the tank, but I can't imagine that kink had just happened given the boat is 30 years old... It was fine when I tried to the tank in SOF a few weeks ago

Sounds like the filler pipe has collapsed ?
    Seems odd it overflows and doesn't also back up out of the filler ? However may be a different arrangement to that which I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Sounds like the filler pipe has collapsed ?
    Seems odd it overflows and doesn't also back up out of the filler ? However may be a different arrangement to that which I imagine.
    +1
    usually overflow pipe is a takeoff on the tank and not on the filling pipe!
    Typically it's on the other side of the filling pipe so that it gives some space for the air to vent out.
    You sure there's no other filler filling another tank, or there are no more tanks and a cock between them is closed so you empty tank2 whereas tank1 which has the filler is still full?
    seems odd

V.

I'll investigate more when I'm back at the boat... Thanks for your replies so far.

Do you have the filler set in the small compartment recessed into the transom with the shower unit?

On our Trader 445 the fill pipe and the breather hose run from that compartment in the transom straight to the tank under the bed in the aft cabin. I can access the hoses and filler from inside the cabin by removing a wooden inspection panel. I would think your set up is probably similar.
    Andy

Thanks Andy, do you have the 2 aft cabin configuration or a full beam aft cabin. Which bed is your tank under? I'm wondering if we have 2 water tanks as there is a water maker installed... I've been looking at the water tank under the bed in the twin bunk cabin. Maybe there's another under the bed in the double aft.

We have the single full width cabin and the bed is offset at an angle, kind of in the aft port corner.
    Trader-26 access panel.jpg

The red arrow indicates the access panel to get at the underside of the filler/ breather/shower assembly. The hoses then run under the seat and across to the water tank under the bed. I can't find my notes at the moment which would tell me the size of the tank.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Thanks Andy, helps massively. We have fillers on both side decks. I'll take look again in the morning and see if we have anything else...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast