Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Battery charger - how much shore power to keep charged

Are the battery switches off? Are you sure the fridge has not been left running?

Irish Rover,
    Does the 240V mains charger have an integral ammeter? Or do you have any other way of verifying what 12V is going into the batts, or potentially elsewhere? And you’re sure there is nothing else running off the mains a/c, dehumidifier, engine heater, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    What he said, Rover.
    I'm also still a little suspicious about the meter readings. There surely must be some units marked on the meter. Could you take a photo for us?
    +1, a scaling error of 10 or even 100 crossed my mind too.

Thanks all. Will go to this boat later and try to figüre this out. May well be I'm interpreting the numbers on the meter incorrectly.

I have known a metermaid to clock-up units x 10 resulting in a very high bill

What a perfect excuse to treat yourself to a clamp meter
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dc+clamp+meter

1.5 kWh would run my boat with fridge and everything else for about 2 days. Something is not right - he's not got a jammed float switch and a permanently running bilge pump has he? They are usually the only thing permanently live - more so on a wooden boat.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

OK so I've had a look. 3 batteries present - 2 x 225ah Varta and 1 x much smaller battery which I can't get a good look at but from the size is probably a 90 or 100ah engine start battery. All look fine and not hot to the touch when the charger is on. I took a photo of the charger but can't seem to post from my phone but this is it from google
    VL-169.jpg
    I'm going to the marina office to ask about the meter units and will report later.

Further to my post above I called the marina electrician to the boat. He confirmed the units on the meter are a tenth of a Kw so the 15 per day it's using = 1.5Kw. He didn't seem to think the usage was unusual but he wouldn't, would he. I've disconnected the shore power at the meter and taken a reading so will check again tomorrow. If the reading is still the same then I guess the problem is most likely on the boat and I'll advise my pal to get a proper electrician to check it out.

I do leave my battery charger on and can safely say it should consume hardly anything.
    1.5 units is about 25pence per day or thereabouts . Not huge but perhaps fridge has been left on?
    Has a frost protection heater not been put in the engine bay ? if so it might have cut in in recent nights if on a thermostat? Perhaps frost in your area is not a risk?

Starting the engine every few weeks also seems to me unnecessary and possibly detrimental …………but each to his own,.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast