Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Greta Thunberg is crossing the Atlantic on Vagabond.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    You were doing well, especially the friday night sailing with woman, then you had to mention the dudeist bit. You must never tolerate dudes, they are the source of everything that befalls men these days, the root of the feminisation of men. Incapable of being a man, they resort to dudism in the mistaken belief that they are elevated above all men, in all matters. It is a mask to cover up by perception and pseudo coolness their gross incapability of doing anything that can be relied on, especially in a crisis. I hope you pushed the freak overboard and filmed it.
    Seconded.

I don’t think that we have them up here , sound dreadful !!

all the latest comunications show them all enjoying the trip and are now almost half way .

Quote Originally Posted by cherod View Post
    all the latest comunications show them all enjoying the trip and are now almost half way .
    A very upbeat FB post from Nikki Henderson this morning but with the proviso:

With a front approaching and the excitement of the last few days not far from our mind - we are being extra cautious of those ‘big black clouds’ on the horizon ...
    May be outliers of Tropical Storm Sebastien, which at the moment is moving NE across their track. Fingers crossed it passes safely ahead of them. The next 48 hours will be a bit nailbiting, both for watchers and for those on board.

- W

it seems that Seb is travelling much faster than they are and will soon be well away fom them,, although Niki talks of dark clouds ( what does she know about it ) i think their problem in the next few days will be lack of wind . ,, anyway go Vagy go , over the sea to Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by vociferousMeldrew View Post
    You illustrated your pre conceptions earlier in this thread when you posted...

These are strong assertions coming from someone who by his own admission has a limited and tangential interest in the new generation of sailing YouTubers, clearly your pre conceptions were a vital ingredient of your cynical option.

La Vagabonde is not "just a business". The potted story is young Aussie worked hard doing a rough job, then purchased an ex charter AWB in Italy and bumped into a back packing young minstrel singing in a bar in Greece. They sail off together to the Caribbean and start uploading YouTube vids. Before they head into the Pacific there are 100k followers on YouTube. They reach New Zealand and are offered a 45ft cat. Three years later and with a second transat plus a new baby crew they have reached 1.1 million followers. Their success is the accidental success of those who excel in the creative arts.

Would you have walked up to Paul McCartney in 1962 and accused him of being "an exploitive self publicist, who is contrived, ostentatious, a materialistic profit motivated businessman and a hideous example that highlights everything that is ****ed up in this world".
    Excellent description of how it all came about. Good luck to them.

There's quite a few following the crossing, including some sailing forums, but other than the basic Predict-Wind tracker, there was not much information for them to look at and the mainstream media is only covering the departure and arrival and seem to be ignoring the drama in the middle. Using La Vagabonde's live json link as input and quite a bit of maths, I've put together some software that squeezes quite a lot of performance information / analysis out of what is basically just a big stream of lat/long co-ordinates. I put it up yesterday on Facebook - my first time at 59 yrs old of using social media - quite likely also the last time. Just over 1,000 users so far in 49 countries since yesterday afternoon. Here is the link to my freshly minted blog with the one post - i.e. the app. https://www.oceanshepherd.co.uk/ If nothing else I think get the record for the shortest lifespan app - it has no use to anyone in around 7 days. And also the record for the most analysis possible from a pair of lat/long co-ordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by sebbiep1 View Post
    There's quite a few following the crossing, including some sailing forums, but other than the basic Predict-Wind tracker, there was not much information for them to look at and the mainstream media is only covering the departure and arrival and seem to be ignoring the drama in the middle. Using La Vagabonde's live json link as input and quite a bit of maths, I've put together some software that squeezes quite a lot of performance information / analysis out of what is basically just a big stream of lat/long co-ordinates. I put it up yesterday on Facebook - my first time at 59 yrs old of using social media - quite likely also the last time. Just over 1,000 users so far in 49 countries since yesterday afternoon. Here is the link to my freshly minted blog with the one post - i.e. the app. https://www.oceanshepherd.co.uk/ If nothing else I think get the record for the shortest lifespan app - it has no use to anyone in around 7 days. And also the record for the most analysis possible from a pair of lat/long co-ordinates.

Very bit of programming - well done!

Quote Originally Posted by sebbiep1 View Post
    Brilliant! I wish I could put the data from some friends who are on the ARC+ into your software.

TudorSailor

I think I saw this on cruisers forum the other day , got a fairly positive reception there , was quite pleasing in amongst some of the regulars being particularly spite full and derogatory about Vagy , there is a bit of stuff around if someone is prepared to dig , but nothing showing daily miles which yours has ( unless one is prepared to log position and calculate long / lat numbers ) , thanks , Bon voyage Vagy

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast