Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Default Re: Greta Thunberg is crossing the Atlantic on Vagabond.

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    I didn't watch the Nandji video, just saw the first minute and meant to watch it later as it looked as though it would be amusing. They are a lovely couple, and I am sure there was absolutely no malice aforethought in their decision to have a little fun with the news. Bonita and Yoshi are a lovely couple, but they do not have the advantage of frequenting places like the YBW Lounge so are not aware of the large numbers of venomous right wing bawbags who frequent the internet these days.

I don't think either Nandji or la Vagabonde will be harmed by this, but it may make them a little more worldly-wise - if you think that is a good thing well, it is up to you, personally I think it is a shame.

As to the trip being a publicity stunt - one thing is for sure - if the trip goes smoothly Outremer will do very well out of it.

- W
    I suspect it will end in tears, the weather is crap, she has a ten month old baby with her, in her latest vid she is doing the tearful oh I cant cope trope as they go to new york. she and the greta are in bed seasick as of their latest insta blog, riley and the pro are handling it and as I have said before, this is the greta story now not la vaga and certainly not outremer, they havent even been mentioned, the only facts are that are is that the boat is solar and sea powered, those two volvos have been conveniently forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    I suspect it will end in tears, the weather is crap, she has a ten month old baby with her, in her latest vid she is doing the tearful oh I cant cope trope as they go to new york. she and the greta are in bed seasick as of their latest insta blog, riley and the pro are handling it and as I have said before, this is the greta story now not la vaga and certainly not outremer, they havent even been mentioned, the only facts are that are is that the boat is solar and sea powered, those two volvos have been conveniently forgotten!
    Don't be such a miserable old git. I'm sure Riley and Nikki cojld cope on their own if necessary. The main thing is, will the boat stand up to what could be 3,000 miles of heavy windward work? If it does I am sure Outremer will make capital out of it.

- W

My goodness. The term "virtue signalling" I believe was coined to apply to asserting membership of a tribal group by stating how much you hate the other tribal group. That has no sailing relevance so can we please keep that kind of thing to the lounge? Some posters might be enlightened by looking up the sayings "Perfect is the enemy of good" and "Better a flawed diamond than a pebble".

In more interesting news, coverage of Ms. Thunberg's transport choices seem to be causing an uptick in people looking to crew and also interest in commercial sailing ventures:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...at-hitchhiking
    Last edited by laika; 15-11-19 at 19:41. Reason: Down with that kind of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Could someone please post a code/decode sheet so that the rest of us can understand what on Earth this thread is now about?

Please nicely?

I think I have taken in a bit but am far from sure, However, I will be put right no doubt:

Schoolgirl, bit of a media darling, hitched a lift to America on a sailing boat, in order to tell everyone there that they should not be using aeroplanes. Made a big splash but not popular with the President.

This pins her in America with no easy way of getting back without recourse to the:
    capitalistic running pig dogs,
    old white men,
    forces of conservatism,
    despoilers of the Gaea etc, etc. That is, the people who run aeroplanes and ships and the like.

Enter a YouTube "Channel" who spot a publicity opening and offer to help her out (You will be aware that a number of film makers craft a very comfy living out of instalment soap operas centred largely on bikini bottoms and a weekly peril of the deep.)
    Unfortunately going W to E across the Atlantic in November is not likely to be a bikini job but, as their business runs almost entirely on sensation, they think the risk is worth the biscuit.

Another YouTube outfit, no doubt miffed at missing the main opportunity, put out some pungent remarks about the suitability of the Atlantic trip - and quickly withdraw them. I assume, not getting the main gig, this is the next best marketing shot short of a crew member falling out of the top of her swimsuit, again.

They are now on their way and it could be an all round winner unless they sink.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I think I have taken in a bit but am far from sure, However, I will be put right no doubt:

Schoolgirl, bit of a media darling, hitched a lift to America on a sailing boat, in order to tell everyone there that they should not be using aeroplanes. Made a big splash but not popular with the President.

This pins her in America with no easy way of getting back without recourse to the:
    old white men,
    forces of conservatism,
    despoilers of the Gaea etc, etc. That is, the people who run aeroplanes and ships and the like.

Enter a YouTube "Channel" who spot a publicity opening and offer to help her out (You will be aware that a number of film makers craft a very comfy living out of instalment soap operas centred largely on bikini bottoms and a weekly peril of the deep.)
    Unfortunately going W to E across the Atlantic in November is not likely to be a bikini job but, as their business runs almost entirely on sensation, they think the risk is worth the biscuit.

Another YouTube outfit, no doubt miffed at missing the main opportunity, put out some pungent remarks about the suitability of the Atlantic trip - and quickly withdraw them. I assume, not getting the main gig, this is the next best marketing shot short of a crew member falling out of the top of her swimsuit, again.

Good summary, possibly a bit hard on Nandji.

- W

Could someone please post a code/decode sheet so that the rest of us can understand what on Earth this thread is now about?

Please nicely?
    Me two!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post

old white men,
    forces of conservatism,

Thank you Doug. I was innocently unaware of the instalment soap operas and had no idea that people would watch anything as dull as people sailing, apart from one episode of one called “Sailing Uma” in which the sailing couple in the video plugged my favourite make of lifejackets. As a marketing effort this failed completely, as I had already bought some!

I have now discovered the one with the baby, and, currently, with Ms Thunberg, and the one with the bikinis.

As a way of getting paid to go sailing this seems quite practical if you have a supply of the very rarest thing in sailing, girls who look good in bikinis, along with a supply of fine hot weather and a supply of that rare skill, editing video.

I am now thinking of where these items may be obtained. We do have a friend who is a professional yachtswoman and who looks very good in a bikini but whenever we see her she is swathed from head to toe in well worn and rather grubby Musto oilskins, which would ruin the effect.

Thank you Doug. I was innocently unaware of the instalment soap operas and had no idea that people would watch anything as dull as people sailing, apart from one episode of one called “Sailing Uma” in which the sailing couple in the video plugged my favourite make of lifejackets. As a marketing effort this failed completely, as I had already bought some!

I have now discovered the one with the baby, and, currently, with Ms Thunberg, and the one with the bikinis.

As a way of getting paid to go sailing this seems quite practical if you have a supply of the very rarest thing in sailing, girls who look good in bikinis, along with a supply of fine hot weather and a supply of that rare skill, editing video.

I am now thinking of where these items may be obtained. We do have a friend who is a professional yachtswoman and who looks very good in a bikini but whenever we see her she is swathed from head to toe in well worn and rather grubby Musto oilskins, which would ruin the effect.
    I fear you may have to work on your six pack as well..........

I somehow think that Greta's presence on Vagabonde won't be quite as interesting as Sjana's recent visit...

sjana.jpg

Back to more interesting things - the weather! And cos windy is so much fun - what they're sailing in for the next week -

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast