Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Default Re: Greta Thunberg is crossing the Atlantic on Vagabond.

it is very easy to promote a dissmissif pesimistic opinion on something / someone which may or not happen in 10 years time when you ( or many of us ) will not be here to hold you to account ..

Or even wishes!

Try again.

Well done boys. Usual point scorers in action. Good job we have doers like Greta to make up for the arm chair warmers.

Good wishes to them all. Well I suppose even armchair warmers need wishes too so you can have some as well.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

So far as I can see, Greta Thunberg is doing a wonderful job of promoting our hobby/sport/pastime. I agree with her on the other stuff but I can’t see why anyone would knock her for sailing across the Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    So far as I can see, Greta Thunberg is doing a wonderful job of promoting our hobby/sport/pastime. I agree with her on the other stuff but I can’t see why anyone would knock her for sailing across the Atlantic.
    Neither can I.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    ... I can’t see why anyone would knock her for sailing across the Atlantic.
    I think the criticisms are aimed at the grownups who are organising and funding the publicity stunt. Thunberg is not planning the passage or giving it the green light, she's just the clickbait.
    Would you not agree that this combination of route, timing, boat and crew is a more than usually risky venture?
    The crew includes a baby and an unwell teenager. Outremers are great boats ( I have done circa 2000M on a 55) but heavy weather is guaranteed on this crossing in the middle of winter.
    To me, it seems an absurd risk to take for basically nothing, except publicity and profit.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

In reality I suspect the risk is no worse, probably less, than driving in any country. Seems to me a sense of perspective is required

If anyone would like a refreshing break either from the commercial Youtube bikini lifestyle sailing channels or this thread they are welcome to check out my cack-handed attempts at sail vlogging at the link below. Think Wandering Steve (who we still haven't heard from in a long time, anyone know anything?) but stuck in the UK..

Ducks for cover

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I think the criticisms are aimed at the grownups who are organising and funding the publicity stunt. Thunberg is not planning the passage or giving it the green light, she's just the clickbait.
    Would you not agree that this combination of route, timing, boat and crew is a more than usually risky venture?
    The crew includes a baby and an unwell teenager. Outremers are great boats ( I have done circa 2000M on a 55) but heavy weather is guaranteed on this crossing in the middle of winter.
    To me, it seems an absurd risk to take for basically nothing, except publicity and profit.
    I don’t think Greta Thunberg has a lot of choice. She wants to attend the conference; if she climbs aboard the paraffin budgie she will get a barrage of self righteous finger pointing. Any merchant ship heading in the same general direction could give her a lift, which would be better than a plane, but a yacht is best

Of course its a publicity stunt - that's the entire point. The planes will fly anyway with just empty seats in place of Greta - the point of doing things this way is to get more publicity for the cause and to brave the weather and (so far) bad seasickness for a couple of weeks just to try and shake the complacency out of people is even more impressive - what a shame some choose to criticise instead of praise

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast