Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Choosing an anemometer

We're planning to fit an anemometer, compatible with our Garmin GPS MAP chartplotter. The choices seem to be a wired Garmin which will cost around £320, a wireless NASA cost around £230 or a wired NASA cost £107. I'm favouring the NASA wired purely on cost but is it false economy? Are there other makes we should consider?

Default Re: Choosing an anemometer

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy* View Post
    We're planning to fit an anemometer, compatible with our Garmin GPS MAP chartplotter. The choices seem to be a wired Garmin which will cost around £320, a wireless NASA cost around £230 or a wired NASA cost £107. I'm favouring the NASA wired purely on cost but is it false economy? Are there other makes we should consider?
    Why do you think you need it?

If you do a search of the forum, you'll find that many people have had problems with Nasa wind transducers. These problems are easily fixed, apparently, but it requires a trip up the mast every time. If, like me, you're not keen on going up the mast, perhaps you should choose another make.

Edit: Note that the Garmin gWind transducer requires connecting to a GND10 in order to produce NMEA2000 data. That adds another hundred quid or so.
    Last edited by pvb; 14-11-19 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    If you do a search of the forum, you'll find that many people have had problems with Nasa wind transducers. These problems are easily fixed, apparently, but it requires a trip up the mast every time. If, like me, you're not keen on going up the mast, perhaps you should choose another make.

Edit: Note that the Garmin gWind transducer requires connecting to a GND10 in order to produce NMEA2000 data. That adds another hundred quid or so.
    I've read on here about people needing to replace bearings on several makes including NASA but no-one mentioned Garmin. That doesn't sound like too big a job.

I fitted a Garmin one last summer easy to do. Always nice to see a wind speed and direction. Check if your Garmin plotter takes NMEA 2000.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I fitted a Garmin one last summer easy to do. Always nice to see a wind speed and direction. Check if your Garmin plotter takes NMEA 2000.
    It does take NMEA 2000 and the NASA one is compatible. Did you look at others or go straight for Garmin?

It does take NMEA 2000 and the NASA one is compatible. Did you look at others or go straight for Garmin?
    Straight to Garmin so that all of the kit was 100% compatable. I was replacing Stowe kit and now sport a new wind and water instrumentation.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I've read on here about people needing to replace bearings on several makes including NASA but no-one mentioned Garmin. That doesn't sound like too big a job.
    And the cups breaking off on Nasa transducers.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Why do you think you need it?
    Agreed: the least useful instrument there is, except for really top-flight racing where you are sailing to polars, and for that you need full and accurately calibrated instruments. My boat has an anemometer and wind direction display, but only because I bought it already fitted with these. If commissioning a new boat I probably wouldn't bother having either wind speed or direction instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    My boat has an anemometer and wind direction display, but only because I bought it already fitted with these. If commissioning a new boat I probably wouldn't bother having either wind speed or direction instruments.
    Same here, sort of. I probably wouldn't fit from new, but I quite like having them for sailing at night. Saves constantly looking up to see what the Windex is doing.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast