Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: "Marine" prices.

You seem to all be celebrating the fact that you found a bargain, when what it looks like to me is that, as usual, the marine parts people are charging insultingly high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    Kubota oil filter. Cross check the part number and then search ebay for it. Usually half price or less. Alternator belt for same-----Visit my local car accessory shop and get the auto version for peanuts.
    Ditto - I get most of my Beta engine consumable spares from our local car spares distributor company. Although to be fair the Beta prices are not that bad a price.

Gates alternator belt for Perkins engine £4.99,marine price something silly?
    Leisure Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    You seem to all be celebrating the fact that you found a bargain, when what it looks like to me is that, as usual, the marine parts people are charging insultingly high prices.
    That's correct.

It's worse in aviation. The alternator on a Cessna 172 is the same as a Ford part except 10x the price. And you can't use the automotive one as everything has to be certified on a plane.

ICOM handheld battery, Marine Spares £66.

2 X 16859 batteries, Ebay £4.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    Kubota oil filter. Cross check the part number and then search ebay for it. Usually half price or less. Alternator belt for same-----Visit my local car accessory shop and get the auto version for peanuts.
    I have to admit I'm a little lazy with filters. I just buy them all from www.inlinefilters.co.uk.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

First aid kit fully stacked, £60 from a major chandler. Same item, £24 from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    I think you're 100% correct. There's also an argument that says buying from builders merchants or internet shops is killing the chandlers. I don't think there is an answer that's right or wrong. My original idea was to add a list of correctly priced items as a resource.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Air filter for my kad32 from Euro car parts £5.
    From Volvo Penta £25.
    I was going to say that most filters and engine parts are much cheaper from car spares shops/truck dealers or the local farm supplier.

W.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast